•  
Advertise here

Mystery coolant leak in Pajero

Few drives back I had a bit of nose dive and (I assume) radiator clutch fan has touched the radiator. No immediate damage or leak spotted but after 2-3 weeks, coolant started leaking under the radiator from the center.

On first look, mechanic spotted that clutch fan stamp on the radiator and assume that it is the radiator leaking and we need to change the radiator. After layers of headache as it was custom made radiator, we sourced identically same radiator (3 core, copper and brass) and replace the old one and leak stopped.

After one week, coolant started leaking from behind the engine. This time mechanic spotted that coolant feed and return pipe to the heater is burst and need to be changed. We changed both pipes with OEM part and leak stopped.

After one week, now coolant leaking from center of the engine and on recent diagnose it seems now water pump is leaking.

First two incident may or may not be the coincidence, but third failure of water pump now make me wonder what is wrong here to have these series of failure one after the other.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

16 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Its just getting old. Its like if one hose burst or belt breaks, its good practice to change all hoses or belts since all are of similar age and worn out equally. 

I understand what you are saying, but it is leaking from different components and not one hose after another hose.

Radiator -> Heater Hose -> Water pump.

Something is not right to fail 3 different things in a row. Even it's old, all parts are original OEM and changed regularly, then why all are failing one after the other, crazy coincidence.

If this new custom radiator has some flaw (just assuming), can it burst things in cooling system....?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Probably a good idea to stick a pressure tester on it and put in a few more psi than normal and see if anything else starts leaking

Thanks Barry, where exactly should we stick this pressure tester? And how we can put in few more PSI than normal for testing purpose?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

If this new custom radiator has some flaw

Is the radiator new? or used.

Well you gave your car a good jolt that whacked the radiator into the main fan. Which could have also damaged the water pump which the main fan is bolted on to. The water pump is not designed to take any physical abuse. Causing it to start weeping. 

https://www.amazon.ae/dp/B07VX79GY8/ref=asc_df_B07VX79GY8/?tag=googleshopp09-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=386233137014&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7611363433706531902&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9047580&hvtargid=pla-822032744129&psc=1

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Thanks Barry, where exactly should we stick this pressure tester? And how we can put in few more PSI than normal for testing purpose?

It looks a bit like a bicycle pump that clips onto where your radiator cap goes. Usually you pump it up to 12-14 psi and it will push coolant out through any leaks but you could go up to 18-19 psi and it something is bad you will find it

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, desertdude said:

Is the radiator new? or used.

New custom made with same working specs as the old one.

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-20 at 6.01.04 PM.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

Jeez why does the old one look like it was being cooked in an oven? And since its new, it can be clogged and causing pressure build up. 

Most likely that jolt with a combination of being old is the cause of why your car has started to leak like a sieve. 

P.S : Nice Crocs!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Gaurav said:

New custom made with same working specs as the old one.

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-20 at 6.01.04 PM.jpeg

The various colours on the old radiator core is clear evidence of circulation issues through the core. However, I don't think the fan clutch imprint on the core is the real cause of the water pump failure- from what I can see here, the fan clutch barely touched the radiator. 

But I do agree with @Barry, a proper pressure test is the only way to find all the leaks. You also mentioned sometime back that you had found a gritty substance in the coolant- which is likely the result of having mixed various coolants, and the most likely cause of the damage to the water pump seals. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1