Some more scenery pics: 

BE17229B-7BA9-48C4-95D7-729776FBA86B.jpeg

08508487-7FB6-4A9C-B4E4-61281C154325.jpeg

BD816BF8-A0D3-4172-846F-48CFA22C2BF8.jpeg

20041227-C944-4D4D-8386-A06DB0B548FC.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4
  • WOW (+2) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

One small detail missing and which might lead to a major headache(personal experience) later if not checked. Apparently drones are not allowed. And the check happens after the complete visa process. So its either you go back to UAE or they will confiscate your drone which you will then have to release by paying  a fine and going all the way to Muscat customs office to obtain it. 

If anyone of you was able to sneak in the drone please let me know the trick.  For me this happened on the Khasab border.  Not sure whether the same check happens on other borders. 

• Like (+1) 1

Beautiful trip report and idea to document all good places to visit in Oman in one place. WELL DONE.

I would also love to hear the drive time, total number of days and approx cost.

Looking forward to see you leading this Oman trip next, so we can join.

Here are few place that I have explored earlier in Oman:

• Jabal Shams
  • Ras al Jinz
  • Wadi near sur
  • Sink hole
  • Salalah

4 Wadi near Sur.JPG

3 Starfall.JPG

• Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

18 minutes ago, Jeh said:

One small detail missing and which might lead to a major headache(personal experience) later if not checked. Apparently drones are not allowed. And the check happens after the complete visa process. So its either you go back to UAE or they will confiscate your drone which you will then have to release by paying  a fine and going all the way to Muscat customs office to obtain it. 

If anyone of you was able to sneak in the drone please let me know the trick.  For me this happened on the Khasab border.  Not sure whether the same check happens on other borders. 

Yes, totally right. I have a really decent drone laying around at the house that would have been perfect, but i did not take it with me as it takes up too much space. Have edited the post thank for the comment.

• Like (+1) 1

Not a wadi, but I would add to the must do list in Oman Al-Jabal al-Akhdar. Breathtaking views up there (access by a new and very clean road but only 4x4 are allowed due to the strong inclines)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

58 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Beautiful trip report and idea to document all good places to visit in Oman in one place. WELL DONE.

I would also love to hear the drive time, total number of days and approx cost.

Looking forward to see you leading this Oman trip next, so we can join.

Here are few place that I have explored earlier in Oman:

• Jabal Shams
  • Ras al Jinz
  • Wadi near sur
  • Sink hole
  • Salalah

Thanks @Gauravgoing for another Oman trip the coming winter is definitely on my list. I am totally in for a Carnity group drive. As per my experience, the maximum convoy we did was three cars, and i think 4-5 cars would really be the maximum to stay in convoy. What also needs to be considered is that you need to have likeminded people in the convoy that are OK with driving this long stretch, and are interested in camping and have the tools and gear.

This was our 2019 itinerary with costs involved:

1) Start at Sharjah Mosque Maliha Road Petrol station around 8AM.

2) Cross the Khatmat Maliha border. Online Visas are 5 Omani Riyal per person.

3) Drove the first 4 hours, had some lunch in Amrat, and picked up some firewood in this nice camping accessories shop: 23.492042, 58.498549

4) Drove to Dibab beach area (+/- 1 hour)  and set up camp for the night: 23.081194, 59.049863. 

5) The next morning, we proceeded our trip to Wadi Al Arbeein (35 mins). 

6) After noon, we drove to Sur (90 mins) and checked into the Sur Plaza Hotel. We paid 350AED for a night. Kids enjoyed the pool, and later we drove to the town of Sur for a stroll. Then we drove to the Ras al Jinz Turtle Reserve where the evening visit only started at 8:30 PM (either 5AM or 8:30PM to spot the turtles). https://www.rasaljinz-turtlereserve.com/pages/34/turtle-viewing

We paid 20 Omani Riyal for the tour. (8 per adult, 2 per child between 5-12y old).

7) The next morning we drove from Sur to Wadi Bani Khalid. (1 hour).

That same afternoon we were planning to look for another camping spot and drive home the next day, but as our son was having a nasty cough from the sand and camping, we drove straight home that evening and arrived home around 10PM. 

As you can see, the only costs involved are the petrol (we managed to do 600km on a single tank with the Pajero), some  snacks, and karak Chai on the way, and the entry fees for the turtle reserve. Hotel bookings can be found cheaper, but we wanted to let the kids enjoy the pool while the parents took some deserved rest. Oman in general is cheap to get aound.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

Last someone told me was their 2 way radios were also confesticated at the border. Wonder how you got away with that.

We took the Khatmat Maliha border. He only asked us to open the Cooler and one aluminum case in the back of the car. Our radios were in the glove compartment, so had no issues. 
On the way back we came into UAE via the Hatta border and the same applied. Just opened the boot of the car, had a quick glance and we were back on our way. 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Frederic said:

What also needs to be considered is that you need to have like-minded people in the convoy that are OK with driving this long stretch, and are interested in camping and have the tools and gear.

Totally agree on this one and also should have all expectation set in the beginning than opening any surprise on the way to detour here and detour there. I screwed two oman trips in exact same way.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use