•  

Steel or Alloy Rims (Beadlocked)

Jas Gajaria

The weight of wheels have an impact on the unsprung weight and the rotational weight of the car.

The performance and handling are direct influenced by changing the weight of the wheels.

The lower the weight of the components the less energy is required to decelerate and accelerate (more delta power available).

Google for more info on this topic. 

Another thing, if you consider to change your offset in the future and you want to do this with spacers (another discussion point if you want to do this with spacers instead of getting the correct offset), it is recommend to do this with non steel wheels.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Jas Gajaria said:

Thanks @desertdude, I'm going to try steelies sometime soon. Spending Close to 8K for alloy beadlocks rims is a little absurd to me. I do think that the benefit of driving at 5-6psi will offset the weight of the rims a little bit. But it's going to be trial and error! 

Cheers, 

Jas

Why do you want to drive at 4-5 psi anyways. Unless you have a real light vehicle and very thick, oversized and stiff tyres like cooper STTs you'll literally be driving on flat tryes and your rims will shred them within 5 minutes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

9 hours ago, Jas Gajaria said:

Thanks @desertdude, I'm going to try steelies sometime soon. Spending Close to 8K for alloy beadlocks rims is a little absurd to me. I do think that the benefit of driving at 5-6psi will offset the weight of the rims a little bit. But it's going to be trial and error! 

Cheers, 

Jas

I think driving at 8psi will be the maximum for good on both sides car and tyres.

at EOD its ur call. 😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I already drive at 8 psi and I don't use beadlocks, but I use thick wall tyres that can withstand that low pressure. I can even go lower but it would not be much of a difference. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I drive at 8-10 PSI all the time with Geolander (semi-aggressive tread and sidewall) and never had a pop-out unless involved in an accident, bumping over the inevitable bush at very high speed. As far as I rem, I have had 2 pop-outs in last 3 years.

I totally agree with Javier going lower than 8 PSI is practically useless as it will increase the drag than helping in climb. I tried Moreeb hill on 8 PSI and 6 PSI and 8 performed an inch better (surprisingly).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use