•  

Steel or Alloy Rims (Beadlocked)

Jas Gajaria

Hey Guys,

I was looking into purchasing some Beadlocks but have Zero intention of dishing out 1200 a Rim. Just wanted advice on if Steel Beadlocks are okay for our kind of drives. I don't mind adding the little extra weight a steel rim would add but knowing Alloy rims are Much stronger just want to make sure the steelies can handle the bumps and low tyre pressure driving. 

Cheers, 

Jas

• Like (+1) 2

For sand driving you don't really need alloy. Steel would be enough. We don't run much into rocks or other hard surfaces. 

The good thing about steel is that if bended you can bend it back with a big hammer. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I too think steel rims will do the trick, I've seen more alloy wheels bent but never a steel rim. Added weight though, but nothing your ride will not be able to cope with.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks Guys!

I was thinking on the same lines but just wanted a confirmation on the thought process! See you all soon. 

Cheers, 
Jas

• Like (+1) 2

@Jas Gajaria can't wait to drive with you again.

Had a glimpse of you on the only drive we were together and you had to leave for your studies. Thoroughly enjoyed your company and waiting for December when you will be back for some more sand splashing and more importantly the fun chats later.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Just now, Rahimdad said:

@Jas Gajaria can't wait to drive with you again.

Had a glimpse of you on the only drive we were together and you had to leave for your studies. Thoroughly enjoyed your company and waiting for December when you will be back for some more sand splashing and more importantly the fun chats later.

Likewise! You can bet I'll be seeing all of you again when I'm back :D 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I remember I switched to steel from alloys on my XJ. The difference was big. The car felt heavy, loss of power and poorer acceleration.

Will never switch to steel wheels again. And plus all the added strain on all the driveline components probably cause more wear and tear on them. Specially if being off roaded hard.

Not worth the one bent rim you might get down the line. Which can be repaired easily and cheaply nowadays

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, desertdude said:

I remember I switched to steel from alloys on my XJ. The difference was big. The car felt heavy, loss of power and poorer acceleration.

Will never switch to steel wheels again. And plus all the added strain on all the driveline components probably cause more wear and tear on them. Specially if being off roaded hard.

Not worth the one bent rim you might get down the line. Which can be repaired easily and cheaply nowadays

Thanks @desertdude, I'm going to try steelies sometime soon. Spending Close to 8K for alloy beadlocks rims is a little absurd to me. I do think that the benefit of driving at 5-6psi will offset the weight of the rims a little bit. But it's going to be trial and error! 

Cheers, 

Jas

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, desertdude said:

I changed my 29 inch HT tyre to a 31inch AT tyre and I can definitely notice the heaviness in terms of acceleration and also while climbing a dune. The weight of each tyre had increased by about 3-4 kg. I have to offset it by reducing the tyre pressure further than I used to earlier.

But I read somewhere that higher tyre weight or unsprung weight is good for offroading. Not sure though on how it helps in the desert especially over cross tracks or in terms of stability.

• Like (+1) 4

Important Information

Terms of use