•  
Advertise here

Cost of using scrapped used parts

Atif

Just thought I would share my story of using scrapped/ second hand parts. Last week my 2006 Camry with over 270k KM started jerking. At first I thought it was my choice of music! Upon diagnosis it turned out that one ignition coil was faulty. The closest mechanic to the place installed a new one for AED 235. Next morning my Camry was still out of beat! Was suggested by the one mechanic to get second hand ones from scrap. The scrap guy had hundreds and tried out at least 10 before identifying ones that were working. Took AED 50 each for 3.

A week goes by fine and then slight jerking makes my kids leave the car in their work place. Had to drive it back from business bay to Ajman with slight jerks when starting to move. 
This time around I got better price from Samira Ajman AED 175 each and changed the three. Appears to have solved the issue. Car is humming and hope it wasn't any other issue.

I am sure the experienced guys in the forum will find quite a lot of errors in my inexperienced ways but from now I will take advice prior to taking decision on second hand parts.

• Like (+1) 1

Coils and sensors (electrical stuff) are always better OEM or aftermarket (if pressed for pricing). Reason is electrical scrap part get bad by mishandling very fast (by dirt, water, moisture etc) and there is no easy way to check before buying. You might get lucky once in a while, but 90% you are shooting in the dark. Again if its low price, worth a try to test your luck.

I got my Trail blazer headlight SSD relay from scrap for 50 dhs, because liberty need 30 days for ordering and priced at 350 dhs and my wife cannot drive car with one headlight off. Thank fully its still working fine after a year and half, so electrical scrap depends on your stars positioning tbh. If I have a chance to buy OEM, ill stick to that as my first choice.

I changed my Pajero coil 6 years back and they burned a 1000+ dhs hole but thankfully they havent failed as it was OEM.

Another point is if you are using scrap electrical parts for any reason, then try to see if that part is already in the scrap car or component then chances are its safe to try to great extent. If its kept on shelf, boxes or floor then its worth nothing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I say it's still worth it with the HUGE price difference. 

Ironically my range Rover just started to cough as well. A quick scan showed cyl no 5 was misbehaving. Having a spare part shop in the trunk of your car helps. 

So I dug through and found a good-looking coil I had taken off my free Range Rover donor vehicle before I scrapped it. Two 10mm bolts later the replacement coil was in place and car purring like a kitten once again.

Infact taking of the blasted plastic decoration engine covers was a bigger hassle than changing the coil itself.

I have no where to store them otherwise I wouldn't have put them back

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

I worked in a scrapyard in Ireland for 5 years and 99% of the time never had a problem with used parts as long as they were stored properly. One of the biggest problems is people like to complain when things go wrong but when things go right, you rarely hear anything. When it comes to things like electrical parts, I would rather have used genuine parts than no name new parts. At least you know what you’re getting. 

Here’s another way to look at it. When people ask me if it’s ok to use used parts, I tell them every part on your car is used and it’s still working. 

However, I’ve been in plenty of scrapyards in uae and see how some of the guys work, so it’s understandable not to have any faith in them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2