•  

Fewbie Afternoon Drive - Badayer - 6th Dec 2019

Emmanuel

DRIVE REPORT

We all met on time, but started with a slight delay because of the short interval between morning and afternoon drives, among other things. I kept the briefing quick, focused on safety advices and numbering. @Frederic was my second lead, @Srikumar was in the middle and @Rahimdad (with @Jamy B. as a copilot) in sweep. @Shamil and  @Brette, who have recently been promoted to intermediate level, also gave a hand for recoveries. Thanks all. 

Our entry point being Badayer Shops, we started directly at a good pace to climb the first set of high dunes, and as I understood from @Ale Vallecchi, his two passengers got a bit shocked since they were expecting a relaxed drive. Let’s hope they didn’t hate us at the end of the day! Reaching the top of the second set of dunes was a bit more tricky, but, after a few refusals, everyone made it. At this point, after several failed attempts, Shamil realised that his Xterra had a problem. For some reason, the engine wasn’t delivering its 260 HP.

While we were waiting for him and others to reach the top, one of @Ale Vallecchi guests (I didn’t hear her name well, very sorry for that) suprised us, as she took a trashbag and started to clean the area around us. When I told her that, in Badayer area, which unfortunately became a big junkyard, there is so much to do, she just reminded me of the Hummingbird’s tale : « I’m doing my part ». During the Newbie briefings we always emphasize on the fact that we must keep the desert clean and never throw anything (personaly I don’t even leave a cigaret stub), but here, it was a much more advanced level… Hats off! And hats off also to the person who will help me to understand how someone can leave garbage in the middle of the dunes, since I still didn’t get the idea. 

After that, the drive has been smooth, with very few refusals and only one or two stucks, and I have to say that at some points the level was not a regular fewbie level, actually not far from intermediate. As a matter of fact, our two  Fewbies, @Ale Vallecchi and @Xaf, did very well, even when I decided to spice things up with a couple of challenging crisscrossings in high dunes and, later, in the technical patches that we crossed on our way to Superbowl area. We avoided the main playing spot since it was full of crazy supermodified patrols and buggies, so we can have more fun on the other side. Before we head out, my plan was to play a bit at Iftar bowl, but Brette hitted a bush and had a pop-out. Because sunset was already close when we finished to fix it, we decided to exit. Just before we reached our usual inflating point for this area, we found a police patrol blocking the access to the tarmac, showing us to take left before the residential area. We understood later the reason behind this when we reached Badayer Shops : crazy trafic jam everywhere and earsplitting crowds of buggies and ATVs - for the record, we should always avoid Badayer Shops on Fridays just after sunset, at least during the offroading season.

Anyways, apart from this last detail, I can't tell how much I enjoyed leading this drive. Thanks everyone.      

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 3

Again a super-organised drive with a team of hungry contenders that wanted to have some dunes for afternoon snack. Given the terrain and the contrast with a Newbie/Fewbie level of drive, all did very well.

I really really wanted to take up @Shamil his Xterra to the top, but the grunt just wasn't there. No idea why, and also not sure if it could be related to his intermittent Check Engine light coming up. 

Bidayer in the evening was indeed a mad house, and definitely to be avoided. I was making prayers every time the quads where flying by doing wheelies and overtaking others at the same time. I simply cannot believe what's in their heads (must be saw dust)....

Thanks @Emmanuel for the impeccable drive. I enjoy being in pursuit of that Velociraptor every time.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Emmanuel absolute beautiful trip report just as amazing as your lead. After a long time I really enjoyed the drive and I could feel participants were hungry for more. Thank to @Jamy B. for her company and great to see @Xaf and @Shamil improving on crossing the ridge as the drive progressed. @Ale Vallecchi and his family were just amazing picking up other people's garbage, just made me realize you have to practice it during a break. It was lovely to see smart driving from @Ale Vallecchi as he kept a very cool head and had a few refusals but recovered well. Overall a fun filled afternoon. @Brette to learning the ropes along with @AKR, both are driving their Jeeps to the limit. Great to see people develop over time.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

31 minutes ago, Xaf said:

Am I the only one who find it an amazing place on a Friday evening? 

The smell of ethanol, 2 takt vs 4 takt, turbos, I love it!

Will ask you same question after a year.

We all were same before but after spending time we learn to differentiate what we really value than just like.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

We all were same before but after spending time we learn to differentiate what we really value than just like.

I understand what you mean, but I am the type who was opening the window of the flightdeck when it is dark outside to see my engine starting, smell the burning kerosine, seeing the lightup, nice red/blue glow, hmmm, it is Christmas soon btw.

But not anymore😇

• Haha (+1) 6

44 minutes ago, Xaf said:

Am I the only one who find it an amazing place on a Friday evening? 

Yes, you're the only one 

14 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Wait! You can see your engines from the flight deck of a 777?

• Haha (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

To the other members and public, what the seniors are trying to say and they are right, is that this can happen:

a picture tells more than 1000 words.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Totally agree. See the thing is i don't mind others seeking their thrills and adrenaline, as long as they are not risking other people's lives while doing that. 

I live on Al Qudra road and multiple times per week my wife or me are being tailgated or almost run off the road by these Super Safari driving knobheads that have absolutely zero brains in their heads and do not have any respect for their own of other peoples lives. The racing on that road and the rev limiter noises just go on ALL night ALL the winter time.  Both the MIRA community and Townsquare have launched a common Whatsapp group that calls the authorities constantly to get them to do something.

I'll be buying a dashcam soon and sending footage over to the authorities. It's sickening that we're sometimes arriving home with shaky legs and a heartbeat of 180 because of this.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad (0) 1
  • WOW (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Important Information

Terms of use