•  
Advertise here

Pajero 2007-2011 Tiptronic Upshift Issue

So, on our (fantastic!) Fewbie + drive with @Shaaz Sha yesterday, I was not able to scale one of the high dunes in Sharjah's area 53 - due to this upshift/rev limiter issue.... I have a Pajero 2011, 3.8 LWB. I tried several times (using "D" in addition to tiptronic, which I rarely do), but was unable (hasn't happened before) to get that last 10% I needed to scale and cross the dune- very frustrating! 

I see this has been raised previously..... and the topic started/continued not surprising by @Frederic!

After going through the posts I suppose my questions would be:

1. Has anyone installed the "Unichip ECU" option - what level of success has been achieved? What was the approximate cost? 

2. Any other advice/suggestions/comments, especially from Pajero 2007 - 2011 owners with the same restriction, that others may have of scaling the dunes - apart from the general principle of getting/maintaining enough momentum. I know so many have much more experience than I do. 

I'm thinking of future drive levels for example, and want to find a balanced solution at this stage.  The "Omani" hack doesn't seem to be very appealing! 

Tagging in those I can remember 😂 have Pajeros, even of a different generation to mine but open to any advice from anyone... @Gaurav @Frederic @GauravSoni @Wrangeld @Anish S @Vanessa8580 @Mehmet Volga @Yousef Alimadadi @Lakshmi Narasimhan @Adhir Saxena @Danish Mohammad @Warren Flay @Tamas Hoffmann @andy_macdxb @Michael sammy

Thanks 🙏

• Like (+1) 1

Drive in D at all times. Never had an issue, no upgrades at all. Mine is SWB, which clearly makes a big difference. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

In Area53 it is less easy to build momentum sometimes, and the massive amount of cross-tracks results in losing a lot of power.

Generally when climbing you should build enough momentum and use tiptronic to go from first to second gear, and once you are running out of momentum, kick it back into first gear to get that last extra juice out of it.

Omani hack.... to be avoided.

In those cases, dont forget to double check your tyre pressure. Towards the end of the drive it might have gone up to 15-16psi. Deflating back to 10-12 (depending on your tyres) will make a difference as well.

Chiptuning.. not a fan personally, but yes there options to get rid of that upshift issue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Your engine is an air pump. You make it easier to get air in/exhaust out and you’re half way there. Your 3.8 is a MIVEC engine so it only makes real power up high in the rpm range… you can help it do it’s job by putting free flow exhaust and hp air filter in it but my experience has been that getting the ECU flashed provided the greatest boost. The new map raised the rev limiter 500rpm and also cuts the cooling fan in earlier as well as giving a power boost. IMHO, money well spent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Unfortunately I don't think there is an easy solution to this problem. Omani hack and Unichip..., we have members that have suffered quite badly due to this.

@Warren Flay the issue is that once the speed reached 50km/h it will upshift in the 2011 Pajero, so no amount of extra hp or free flowing exhaust would help.

@Gregory in my view there are only two options - Live with it, or you will have to change the car. Anything else, and you might spoil your existing engine. Another point, is that such climbs are only about 10% of the entire drive, but yes the most fun 10%.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Wrangeld @Frederic @Warren Flay @Srikumar thanks gents for the valuable advice and comments. Definitely don't want to spoil the engine/make expensive changes, so will live with it (as @Srikumar succinctly put it), and at the same time will need to up my game skill-wise. 👍👍

Always appreciate the quality of advice in the group.... 

• Like (+1) 3

• 1 year later...

I have been suffering from this problem, I had the Omani hack but did not like using it.

just had my transmission reprogrammed to remove the upshift and had the rev limit/fuel cut reprogrammed as well……….completely different car to drive.

I would recommend anyone who has one of these generation Pajero to get this done before anything else.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

• 1 month later...

@Jaro Tuzinsky what happen with us on Nahel Mega Dunes 😅

On 1/9/2023 at 10:03 AM, Stumpy Paj said:

just had my transmission reprogrammed to remove the upshift and had the rev limit/fuel cut reprogrammed as well……….completely different car to drive.

Did you do it yourself @Stumpy Paj?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 2/12/2023 at 5:24 AM, Ishak said:

@Jaro Tuzinsky what happen with us on Nahel Mega Dunes 😅

Did you do it yourself @Stumpy Paj?

No I got the guy from SpeedECU to do it (near JLT) completely changed the car.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

After the gearbox upshift was fixed I have been meaning to remove the Oman Hack, the switch was down near the park brake and I had knocked it once on the 311 @120 😳 car slammed back into 3rd and engine check light lit up.

Don’t want that to happen again so finally got around to removing it today.

EC137F1E-BFC9-4E39-8FC1-404F2B853A0B.jpeg

Edited by Stumpy Paj
  • Like (+1) 5