•  
Advertise here

Pajero 2007-2011 Tiptronic Upshift Issue

Thanks for this, Fred.

I need to have a conversation with you during the next event about this ('cause i don't understand all the technical language that you're using)

I have a 2009 Pajero, and my car is reacting weirdly (changing gear from the 1st to the second even if i'm in manual, when the engine is getting high in RPM), and other things strange.

Thanks to talk about this topic, it could explain a lot.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Julien V said:

Thanks for this, Fred.

I need to have a conversation with you during the next event about this ('cause i don't understand all the technical language that you're using)

I have a 2009 Pajero, and my car is reacting weirdly (changing gear from the 1st to the second even if i'm in manual, when the engine is getting high in RPM), and other things strange.

Thanks to talk about this topic, it could explain a lot.

That exactly the same thing @Frederic was explaining ‘upshift issues’.

when in manual mode car automatically upshifts to next gear upon reaching desired RPM and we looses all of sudden power while climbing a dune .

Models after 2011 doesn't has this problem. RPM reaches to 6500 without any issues and no issues of upshifting.

26 minutes ago, Frederic said:

For all the Pajero 2007-2011 owners around, this topic has been addressed in the past on Mitsubishi forums and was brought up here a while back, but i wanted to compile all information in one topic to finally condense all information and share our experiences.

The famous issue that Gen4 Pajeros built between 2007 and 2011 have, is the automatic upshifting in tiptronic mode once the rpm reaches 5200rpm. While for overlanding or other offroading activities this is not so much of an issue, it is a BIG issue for the dunebashers amongst us if attempting a climb on the bigger dunes (Faya, Sweihan, Liwa, etc...).

With some practice you might try to stay just below that 5200rpm point to keep it in the gear, but this is far from easy and on bumpy dunes keeping your foot stable on the pedal is easier said than done. 

On a 3.8 Pajero the torque reaches its peak at around 2750 rpm and starts to decline after 4500 rpm. At that point the horses have to take over and your 184 kW (247 HP) is reached at 6000 rpm. When limiting at 5200 rpm you would lose out 14 kilowatts (18 Hp). 

Capture.JPG.54cf44224dc4a49a657576a684ba1beb.JPG

While looking on the other Mitsubishi forums, 2 options have come forward which i will describe below:

1. Omani Gear Hack:The Omani Gear Hack works by disabling the output speed sensor which will stop the car from auto shifting. This hack is at your own risk only and although it solves the upshift issue, it puts your car in limp mode and will activate your check engine light, which would also hide other potential dangers ! You can find the detailed instructions attached. It mentions to use the car in 4LLC mode which we do not recommend doing. Maybe the hack works in 4H or 4HLC too, but haven't received confirmation of that yet.

2. Unichip RPM Cutoff: This is a lesser intrusive solution using Unichip to limit the RPM to 5200. The Unichip ECU piggy back computer with the RPM cutt off option allows you to put a limit on the RPM to prevent the gear from autoshifting in sports mode. Unichip comes with a 5 map selector, so you set one of the maps on the RPM limit at 5200 then car will not upshift on all gears when in tip tronic mode. However you will not be able to unlock the power beyond 5200rpm...

On top of that, most of the GEN4 Pajeros have the ASC (Automatic Stability Control) that needs to be switched off during offroading. If your ABS is still kicking in, than it is also advisable to remove the ABS relay in the engine bay.  (relay, not the fuse as these ones are really hard to pull out). Your car will now change in a Christmas tree dashboard.

Looking at all these issues to get a "newer model" car to behave as it should in the desert, it comes as no surprise that many dune bashers revert back to using older cars which don't have all these sensors on board. 

PS Does any of you have experience with the Pedal Commander, and would it have any benefical effect on the sluggish reaction of the Pajero ? 

Pajero Gen 4 Gear Lock _ (Omani Gear Hack) Stops Gear Autoshift (1).pdf 953.24 kB · 1 download

And i will never support Omani Hack as it transforms vehicle into safe mode restraining many things. Never ever use 4LLc other than recoveries if you don't want to kill transmission.

i am one of the victim. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

31 minutes ago, Julien V said:

PS once in Sweihan we met a guy who adviced us to unplugged something under the car hood. Next i'll show you and maybe you can explain.

That was ABS and/or SRS fuse, I rem that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Frederic I think it's more linked to the speed rather than the RPM.

However, when I used to drive a 3.8 Pajero, I tried my best to keep it below the upshifting point of 50 kmph ( or close to 5200 rpm). But he problem then is that you don't have enough momentum for the climb. I remember at Faya, I managed to keep it in 1st gear (tiptronic mode) by controlling the speed. However, the result was the same. It just wouldn't climb. And in last week drive, I even tried the Faya climb in 4 LLc, it would still upshift.

@Julien V something was a bit off on your car as there was no road of the engine. It's better that you check up the basics like air filter, throttle body, MAF sensor once.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

@Frederic I think it's more linked to the speed rather than the RPM.

However, when I used to drive a 3.8 Pajero, I tried my best to keep it below the upshifting point of 50 kmph ( or close to 5200 rpm). But he problem then is that you don't have enough momentum for the climb. I remember at Faya, I managed to keep it in 1st gear (tiptronic mode) by controlling the speed. However, the result was the same. It just wouldn't climb. And in last week drive, I even tried the Faya climb in 4 LLc, it would still upshift.

@Julien V there something was a bit off on your car as there was no road of the engine. It's better that you check up the basics like air filter, throttle body, MAF sensor once.

Yes you’re right, the upshifting occurs in all modes, but remember @Roshan Abraham his Pajero that would up shift in 4H but not in 4HLc. I think he has a 2010 model.

Coming winter I’ll bring out the wifeys 3,8 Pajero a few times and experiment with the settings to see if we can find a solution. 

Julien his car indeed didn’t want to wake up completely. Could be many reasons for that. Like you said checking the basics is a good start. The 3.5 is under powered but should at least possess the “roar” and power without too much restriction. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

51 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Yes you’re right, the upshifting occurs in all modes, but remember @Roshan Abraham his Pajero that would up shift in 4H but not in 4HLc. I think he has a 2010 model.

I think it's 2013 or 2014 model and yes, it didn't upshift in 4 HLc mode. Tried it at pink rocks

• Like (+1) 4

Funnily enough I remember we had a Patrol VTC in Liwa and the triptronic didn't let you downshift 

This turned into a problem while crossing a big bowl close to tel morab. 

By the time you got down into the bowl 1st gear was up and you clicked into second. Half way up, needed to downshift back to 1st. But it wouldn't let you do it. And close to the edge it would run out of steam.

So only way was to do the typical batrol doof doof in 1st gear all the way down and then all the way up. With the engine redlining all the way.

I was just glad the Patrol belonged to Nissan Middle East and none of us! : D

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1