•  
Advertise here

Pajero 2007-2011 Tiptronic Upshift Issue

Bringing this topic back to life.

After doing some trials and investigations on my 2008 Pajero, it is now clear that the vehicle upshifts by itself in tiptronic first gear at about 5300-5500rpm. This was a safety measure put in place by Mitsubishi that was later upgraded in the more recent Pajero models. In second gear it keeps its gear well until 6000rpm. 

This is the INVECS-II system at work which is pretty advanced and not so easy to fool.

I've looked into the Omani hack but want to keep that as very last option, due to the fact that it puts the transmission in limp mode, and does not allow you to drive in 4H first gear (only 2nd and 3rd). Because of this you are required to drive in 4LLC to somewhat overcome the lack of the first gear. I would be ok with this for occasional use for climbing a steep dune, but not for a complete drive.

Also the Omani hack results in rough shifting, because disabling the output shaft sensor means the transmission cannot sync properly. On top of that it throws the CEL (Check Engine Light) which is something i really do not want to see on my dashboard. God forbid something else would be going wrong it would be ignored.

So currently i see a few options available:

1) Getting a Unichip piggyback ECU with rpm limiter cutoff. A bit pricey in my opinion and i am not really looking at chipping a vehicle with +200k on the clock. 

2) Installing a "racing" rpm tachometer with shift light indicator. By programming this to light up a bit before the upshift happens, i can keep the throttle more stable and hopefully keep it in gear during a climb. I will however not use the full potential of the car, although the 250Hp is @6000rpm so we are not that very far off. I need to check wiring as i've seen these tachometers are normally wired on the coil pack. Not sure if this is easy with the Pajero.

3) Installing a bluetooth OBD plug with an app like Torque: it also has a functionality with shift light notification, and at the same time i can see engine temps in realtime values. But not so very fond of again sticking a phone onto my windshield just for this one purpose. Good thing is that nothing is being altered (no wiring needed).

I've looked into other possibilties similar to the Omani hack, but have not found any decent solution to avoid the transmission from going into limp mode. There are so many failsafe options on the transmissions. 

To be honest i am not interested in going for extreme dune climbs, but i am very worried about the car upshifting while doing a sidey, resulting in complete loss of power and the vehicle slowing down. This is downright dangerous. 

@Michael sammy As you have experience with the Omani hack, can you provide your feedback on this ? And am i correct that the vehicle cannot be driven in 4H first gear once activated ?

image.png.47a6e424d61465225725b73ad8d1f6bc.png

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

5 hours ago, Frederic said:

To be honest i am not interested in going for extreme dune climbs, but i am very worried about the car upshifting while doing a sidey, resulting in complete loss of power and the vehicle slowing down. This is downright dangerous. 

As this is your second car, so doing sidey at 2nd gear wouldn't be the safest option? So that you don't tinker with on-road + wifey and kids car so she still drives safe in dunes and on-road.

Whenever she wants to do drive at a higher level, she can take the little one to have her chance to push as much as she likes.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

As this is your second car, so doing sidey at 2nd gear wouldn't be the safest option? So that you don't tinker with on-road + wifey and kids car so she still drives safe in dunes and on-road.

Whenever she wants to do drive at a higher level, she can take the little one to have her chance to push as much as she likes.

I want the car to stay in it’s gear in order not to loose momentum. The danger in the up shifting is that you loose the momentum and need to exit immediately. I’ve been practicing a bit with that car and it’s possible to keep it in first gear if you keep a close eye on the rpm counter and try to keep it below 5500. 

The plan is indeed to not tinker with the transmission, and definitely not the Omani hack.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

I’ve been practicing a bit with that car and it’s possible to keep it in first gear if you keep a close eye on the rpm counter and try to keep it below 5500. 

Wow, if you are able to manage that.

The 5500 rpm corresponds to a speed of 50 kmph, which I believe is already quite fast enough while doing a sidey. I never had an upshift issue while doing a sidey as I was always below this speed.

The issue comes with long hill climbs when you reach more than 50 kmph at the base of the hill or about half way through. If you ease out on the accelerator you loose the momentumI. I as well as Rahim bhai tried it multiple times at Iftar bowl to keep it below 5000 rpm to prevent the upshift. But it's extremely difficult.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

Wow, if you are able to manage that.

The 5500 rpm corresponds to a speed of 50 kmph, which I believe is already quite fast enough while doing a sidey. I never had an upshift issue while doing a sidey as I was always below this speed.

The issue comes with long hill climbs when you reach more than 50 kmph at the base of the hill or about half way through. If you ease out on the accelerator you loose the momentumI. I as well as Rahim bhai tried it multiple times at Iftar bowl to keep it below 5000 rpm to prevent the upshift. But it's extremely difficult.

Agree.  Only for these big hill climbs the Omani hack is a cheap option that would make it possible to keep the gear. Just need to make sure it doesn’t end up breaking the transmission. That would make it a very expensive fix.

5500rpm is indeed about 50km/h. Luckily the 3.8 has quite good torque, so in second gear we should try to get into the power band and keep it there. 
Sri buddy I much prefer the manual gears 😜

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Srikumar said:

I absolutely agree. We have a rare taste my friend. Stick it in first gear and hear that baby roar all the way to the top.

Manual 😍. Love it to the core. 

11 hours ago, Frederic said:

Bringing this topic back to life.

After doing some trials and investigations on my 2008 Pajero, it is now clear that the vehicle upshifts by itself in tiptronic first gear at about 5300-5500rpm. This was a safety measure put in place by Mitsubishi that was later upgraded in the more recent Pajero models. In second gear it keeps its gear well until 6000rpm. 

This is the INVECS-II system at work which is pretty advanced and not so easy to fool.

I've looked into the Omani hack but want to keep that as very last option, due to the fact that it puts the transmission in limp mode, and does not allow you to drive in 4H first gear (only 2nd and 3rd). Because of this you are required to drive in 4LLC to somewhat overcome the lack of the first gear. I would be ok with this for occasional use for climbing a steep dune, but not for a complete drive.

Also the Omani hack results in rough shifting, because disabling the output shaft sensor means the transmission cannot sync properly. On top of that it throws the CEL (Check Engine Light) which is something i really do not want to see on my dashboard. God forbid something else would be going wrong it would be ignored.

So currently i see a few options available:

1) Getting a Unichip piggyback ECU with rpm limiter cutoff. A bit pricey in my opinion and i am not really looking at chipping a vehicle with +200k on the clock. 

2) Installing a "racing" rpm tachometer with shift light indicator. By programming this to light up a bit before the upshift happens, i can keep the throttle more stable and hopefully keep it in gear during a climb. I will however not use the full potential of the car, although the 250Hp is @6000rpm so we are not that very far off. I need to check wiring as i've seen these tachometers are normally wired on the coil pack. Not sure if this is easy with the Pajero.

3) Installing a bluetooth OBD plug with an app like Torque: it also has a functionality with shift light notification, and at the same time i can see engine temps in realtime values. But not so very fond of again sticking a phone onto my windshield just for this one purpose. Good thing is that nothing is being altered (no wiring needed).

I've looked into other possibilties similar to the Omani hack, but have not found any decent solution to avoid the transmission from going into limp mode. There are so many failsafe options on the transmissions. 

@Michael sammy As you have experience with the Omani hack, can you provide your feedback on this ? And am i correct that the vehicle cannot be driven in 4H first gear once activated ?

image.png.47a6e424d61465225725b73ad8d1f6bc.png

@Frederic would always recommend unichip. Safe and the best with 5 hacks so you can use it for different occasions. Omani hack turns transmission into limp mode which pops up “check engine light”.

Dont ever play with pajero transmission, its kicks back so hard. (A victim)

• Like (+1) 3

Fred have you tried it while car is in low gear? That was the solution for my auto XJ. When I put it on low it was holding the gear, anyway you not going to drive long way with low gear. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, sertac said:

Fred have you tried it while car is in low gear? That was the solution for my auto XJ. When I put it on low it was holding the gear, anyway you not going to drive long way with low gear. 

Yes the upshifting also happens in 4Low.

For steep climbs, the 2nd and 3rd gear in the Pajero are actually quite good. 

• Like (+1) 3

@Frederic thats a big topic and very important to discuss, i have tried most of these solutions i will be posting an article about these points in details and about my own experience.

• Like (+1) 3