•  
Advertise here

Recovery - What Went Wrong

Gaurav

From my limited knowledge and observation, it seems these guys are just familiar of mud driving technique only, so they are far away from the sense of deflating the tires. handling such situation is a hard riddle for them. instead of deflating tires he deflated his dress and posing in his swimsuit🤣  and fighting with momentum.

It reminds me of a similar situation at al qudra. those guys struggling to move ahead without deflating tires

• Like (+1) 5

I think @Brette. Has hit the nail on the head. Well done. Too much wheel spin. Start slow and stop slow. Besides deflation and communication that is the key. Well done @Brette take a bow.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

I sort of sympathize with the guy. Many a times I've had to struggle with fully inflated tyres.

After a safari we would inflate in the camp load up 6pax and get out. Oy thing was there was immediately a climb and that track was always chewed up and then a 6-7km Sandy track before we hit the tarmac. Sandy not gatch 

And every once in a while for whatever reason the cruiser would not make it or just lose steam as it crossed over and then we would struggle with Inflated tyres to get out. As after a long day of work no one wanted to get out deflate then drive to the end of the road and waste another 10 -15 mins inflating with our small compressor.

But rarely we ever had to do that. All that struggling actually improved my driving with Inflated tyres skills.

So as they say hard work never goes to waste :)

• Like (+1) 3

Well done everyone for their fair share of input. Good job.

@Brette pointed the main reason for all this struggle, very nicely.

Here are the things that went wrong with this recovery in the right priority order:

1. NEVER NEVER NEVER do recovery with full throttle - This alone point was the main reason for this guy entire struggle or (maybe) he is doing it on purpose to gain attention with sand fountain from the beach crowd. Deflation or no deflation (depending on sand softness) if anyone recover with full throttle from stand still motion, they will dig deeper than going front or back. He has been forgiven partly due to powerful 4x4, offroad tires and good ground clearance.

2. Make a flat track first before recovering on soft sand, so that you can compress sand 10-15 meters ahead of you to get both cars in momentum and then give little more gas to continue the drag without failing on momentum or without any wheel spin.
    • He could have moved his car gently (without wheel spin) front and backwards 5-7 times in a straight line, to compress all the soft sand to great extent.
    • Engage both cars in LO gear.
    • Clear the sand from front of the tire of stuck vehicle and slap the path with shovel to compress sand.
    • Then attach a tow rope for recovery and stretch the rope to max without pulling.
    • Ask stuck car to give 1500 rpm first and then he gives 2000 rpm slowly without wheel spin.
    • Once both car move 10-15 meter, give close to 3000 rpm gas to get out without leaving the gas.
    • If any car still bog down, move quarter of steering left and right aggressively to displace the sand on the go.

3. Instead of pulling so long on soft patch, he could have come closer to the camera where many cars are crossing.

4. If still impossible to pull due to very soft sand, after the first fail attempt, accept the defeat and deflate both cars.

5. I think in end he deflated so close to the beach because he must have seen A/T light or car was overheating.
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

4 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Well done everyone for their fair share of input. Good job.

@Brette pointed the main reason for all this struggle, very nicely.

Here are the things that went wrong with this recovery in the right priority order:

1. NEVER NEVER NEVER do recovery with full throttle - This alone point was the main reason for this guy entire struggle or (maybe) he is doing it on purpose to gain attention with sand fountain from the beach crowd. Deflation or no deflation (depending on sand softness) if anyone recover with full throttle from stand still motion, they will dig deeper than going front or back. He has been forgiven partly due to powerful 4x4, offroad tires and good ground clearance.

2. Make a flat track first before recovering on soft sand, so that you can compress sand 10-15 meters ahead of you to get both cars in momentum and then give little more gas to continue the drag without failing on momentum or without any wheel spin.
    • He could have moved his car gently (without wheel spin) front and backwards 5-7 times in a straight line, to compress all the soft sand to great extent.
    • Engage both cars in LO gear.
    • Clear the sand from front of the tire of stuck vehicle and slap the path with shovel to compress sand.
    • Then attach a tow rope for recovery and stretch the rope to max without pulling.
    • Ask stuck car to give 1500 rpm first and then he gives 2000 rpm slowly without wheel spin.
    • Once both car move 10-15 meter, give close to 3000 rpm gas to get out without leaving the gas.
    • If any car still bog down, move quarter of steering left and right aggressively to displace the sand on the go.

3. Instead of pulling so long on soft patch, he could have come closer to the camera where many cars are crossing.

4. If still impossible to pull due to very soft sand, after the first fail attempt, accept the defeat and deflate both cars.

5. I think in end he deflated so close to the beach because he must have seen A/T light or car was overheating.

I disagree, all of above culminated from one single source. Inflated tyres. And the rest followed trying to address the situation without deflating.

If he was deflated properly. He would have easily towed out the vehicle in the 1st or 2nd attempt. 

Maybe he was in a situation like me as described earlier and didn't want to deflate. I think this is Frasier Island in Australia and you have to cross this Sandy patch to get to the beach where you really don't need to deflate. So maybe he was thinking he could get away with it. 

Someone who buys a car like that and then mods it as seen is not new to off roading and in general Ozzy off-roaders do off road in the desert but not like us here. Point is they are not alien to it 

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

11 hours ago, desertdude said:

I disagree, all of above culminated from one single source. Inflated tyres. And the rest followed trying to address the situation without deflating.

If he was deflated properly. He would have easily towed out the vehicle in the 1st or 2nd attempt. 

Maybe he was in a situation like me as described earlier and didn't want to deflate. I think this is Frasier Island in Australia and you have to cross this Sandy patch to get to the beach where you really don't need to deflate. So maybe he was thinking he could get away with it. 

Someone who buys a car like that and then mods it as seen is not new to off roading and in general Ozzy off-roaders do off road in the desert but not like us here. Point is they are not alien to it 

Totally agree with what you said about not wanting to deflate for just one soft patch, but I think the whole idea of the video on this thread is more of an example to show the not so advanced offroaders here what not to do when trying to recover. With experience each one may take a different route but for those who are still learning, it's more about just a recovery and not where it is and whether it is just a soft patch at that point. 

With experience and once you know the path well, more advanced drivers may try the exact same thing as in the video based on the situation but for us who are just learning the tricks of desert driving, what @Gaurav said makes sense. 

Just my 2 cents and stand to be corrected if wrong. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

12 hours ago, desertdude said:

So when are we seeing you recovering LC200 from a soft sand by full throttle wheel spin with deflated tires?

Bets are open now: 500 Dhs.

Like I said, this maybe on purpose for excited camera guy cheering up or beach crowd or he is new to offroad scene and just bought this souped up truck.

I'm living in Warqa from last 9 years and until 2 years back just before warqa entrance there used to be huge traffic pile up, so people used to take sandy patch to jump the traffic on right side. Almost every week I used to recover people there with 35 PSI inflated tires by the same technique I explained above. 4 out of 5 times I used to save my formals and shoes, but 1 time I used to fail and accept the defeat and deflate.

Deflate or no deflate (depending on luck or situation), this full throttle wheel spin is not the way to recover. Period.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

23 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

So when are we seeing you recovering LC200 from a soft sand by full throttle wheel spin with deflated tires?

Bets are open now: 500 Dhs.

Like I said, this maybe on purpose for excited camera guy cheering up or beach crowd or he is new to offroad scene and just bought this souped up truck.

I'm living in Warqa from last 9 years and until 2 years back just before warqa entrance there used to be huge traffic pile up, so people used to take sandy patch to jump the traffic on right side. Almost every week I used to recover people there with 35 PSI inflated tires by the same technique I explained above. 4 out of 5 times I used to save my formals and shoes, but 1 time I used to fail and accept the defeat and deflate.

Deflate or no deflate (depending on luck or situation), this full throttle wheel spin is not the way to recover. Period.

You fail to comprehend. I gave no opinion on whatever methods used after he didn't make it. 

My one single point was this mess was solely created because he wasn't deflated. That's it. End of story ;)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1