•  
Advertise here

Why no diesels?

Per A

I have for a while wondered why there are no diesel cars here?? As in sweden there are alot of diesels as they use less fuel and as the modern ones are as good/bad polluters as gasoline?

I was driving a BMW320D with almost 190hp and a lot of torque but could still have a consumption of 5L/100km that is not possible with gasoline, and as for off road the torque is good as far as i have read.

• Like (+1) 2

Diesels are indeed much less popular here. I think the main reason is that the gas prices remained low, which takes away the motivation to buy diesel. 

Torque is indeed higher, and my Swedish neighbor who joined us for a drive earlier this year drives a Landcruiser Diesel which has mountains of torque. Another neighbor of mine drives the Ford Ranger Wildtrak with 3.2 DID and also does fine in offroad.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Diesels are indeed much less popular here. I think the main reason is that the gas prices remained low, which takes away the motivation to buy diesel. 

Torque is indeed higher, and my Swedish neighbor who joined us for a drive earlier this year drives a Landcruiser Diesel which has mountains of torque. Another neighbor of mine drives the Ford Ranger Wildtrak with 3.2 DID and also does fine in offroad.

Oh and until very recently before the fuel prices got deregulated Diesel was very expensive. 

I recall a gallon was around 8ish dhs while petrol was around 4ish.

And yes we use to use gallons here before. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Oh and until very recently before the fuel prices got deregulated Diesel was very expensive. 

I recall a gallon was around 8ish dhs while petrol was around 4ish.

And yes we use to use gallons here before. 

aaah ok this make sense if its 2 times more expensive no one is buying it...

but slow and noisy? My bmw was anything but slow for a 2l engine and yes they were noisy in 1985.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Slow is not a argument against diesels any more. Diesels are the most modification ready engines available. 75hp 1.7 dti opel corsa can be modified to give 250hp with low budget. I want to invite @Barry to this. He is the master of diesel. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Per A said:

aaah ok this make sense if its 2 times more expensive no one is buying it...

but slow and noisy? My bmw was anything but slow for a 2l engine and yes they were noisy in 1985.....

Compared to a 2L petrol?

And 1985! I saw a 2006 Range Rover start and it sounded like a tractor even at idle. 

Agreed the latest generation of European sedans and SUVs are quite-ish and reasonably quick.

But here one doesn't buy a luxury high end vehicle with fuel consumption in mind. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sertac said:

Slow is not a argument against diesels any more. Diesels are the most modification ready engines available. 75hp 1.7 dti opel corsa can be modified to give 250hp with low budget. I want to invite @Barry to this. He is the master of diesel. 

Throw enough money at a VW polo it will out do an Aventador. That's really no argument in favour of diesels

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Throw enough money at a VW polo it will out do an Aventador. That's really no argument in favour of diesels

You are not throwing money to do this. That`s the whole point. With very low budget you can make these cars run like a rocket. All you need modifying original turbo(hybrid turbo we says changing the turbo pals), egr delete, bigger intercooler, exhaust and mapping. You not going to buy super expensive branded materials. All can be done under 5000AED. 

• Like (+1) 1