•  
Advertise here

Why no diesels?

Per A

36 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Compared to a 2L petrol?

And 1985! I saw a 2006 Range Rover start and it sounded like a tractor even at idle. 

Agreed the latest generation of European sedans and SUVs are quite-ish and reasonably quick.

But here one doesn't buy a luxury high end vehicle with fuel consumption in mind. 

Well Range rovers are all tractors so it doesn't matter if its diesel or petrol :D 

and yes fast compared to a 2L petrol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, desertdude said:

So a 2L diesel engine is faster than a 2L petrol engine. Oy vey where is the facepalm emoji when you need it!

Did not say it was faster, i said it was fast compared to any standard 2L Petrol, you can't really compare it like that its all due to setup. Apples vs Pears.....

But today most manufacturers that have both diesel and petrol option for a specific model set the cars up to be the same(top-speed, acceleration and handling), but the diesel will consume less fuel.

Edited by Per A
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, sertac said:

By the way it is tested 320d is faster than 320i. If I am not mistaken 320d 190hp and 320i 170hp.

According to the specs they are the same, the diesel have more HP and a lot more torque so its probably gearbox setup and thats what make the diesel to consume less fuel.

a fun site if you want to compare https://www.ultimatespecs.com/

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Per A said:

Did not say it was faster, i said it was fast compared to any standard 2L Petrol, you can't really compare it like that its all due to setup. Apples vs Pears.....

But today most manufacturers that have both diesel and petrol option for a specific model set the cars up to be the same(top-speed, acceleration and handling), but the diesel will consume less fuel.

There is a reason why diesel cars are not as popular in places where petrol is cheap. N.America, GCC, Some African and South American countries etc etc. 

P.S : I have nothing against diesels. I wish there were more here. I'd instantly get a VW polo with almost a 1000 kms on one tank of fuel. 

But for anything comfort, luxury, sporty, enthusiastic driving or weekend roller. Diesel wouldn't even be in the running.

3 hours ago, sertac said:

By the way it is tested 320d is faster than 320i. If I am not mistaken 320d 190hp and 320i 170hp.

That's one engine by one manufacturer. How bout those tiny hatchback POS you like so much. Compare their diesel vs petrol times ;)

• Like (+1) 1

Next time when you visit europe try to rent 520d or better 530d. They are good enough to be in a luxury car. If i am not mistaking there more diesel luxury cars than petrol in europe. At least in Turkey far more diesel. Not all diesels making horrible noise. I used to have 3.0 CRD Grand Cherokee i was opening window to hear sound of V6. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guys, the only reason why Diesel engines are performing so well, is that  the diesel engine was, with highlight to was (due to the law changes in europe) the best selling variant of the model because of the price of diesel.

So companies started to develop the diesel engines to meet the performance of the petrol. Just imagine all the whistles and bells of a modern diesel in all petrol engines. 

In 1890 there was already an electric car with benz in 1885 having a combustion engine powered car.

It was the lobby of oil companies that made our life dependent on oil.

Diesel engines have a higher compression ratio, more torque at a lower rpm, so ideal for big engines like tanks, boats, generators, busses, trucks. The lifetime and durability of an diesel engine is in general longer the a petrol, but the design and production is more expensive then a petrol.

I can continue and continue about different engines, jet engines, les rotating parts compared with a combustion engine, thats why we want them in a plane. Low maintenance, durability, but super expensive.

But to come back, a simple diesel engine without a turbo vs a petrol engine in a car?

I know which one I’ll choose. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

2 hours ago, sertac said:

Next time when you visit europe try to rent 520d or better 530d. They are good enough to be in a luxury car. If i am not mistaking there more diesel luxury cars than petrol in europe. At least in Turkey far more diesel. Not all diesels making horrible noise. I used to have 3.0 CRD Grand Cherokee i was opening window to hear sound of V6. 

All I read was Europe Europe Europe Europe. Guess what this is not Europe and neither is rest of the world 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Xaf said:

Guys, the only reason why Diesel engines are performing so well, is that  the diesel engine was, with highlight to was (due to the law changes in europe) the best selling variant of the model because of the price of diesel.

So companies started to develop the diesel engines to meet the performance of the petrol. Just imagine all the whistles and bells of a modern diesel in all petrol engines. 

In 1890 there was already an electric car with benz in 1885 having a combustion engine powered car.

It was the lobby of oil companies that made our life dependent on oil.

Diesel engines have a higher compression ratio, more torque at a lower rpm, so ideal for big engines like tanks, boats, generators, busses, trucks. The lifetime and durability of an diesel engine is in general longer the a petrol, but the design and production is more expensive then a petrol.

I can continue and continue about different engines, jet engines, les rotating parts compared with a combustion engine, thats why we want them in a plane. Low maintenance, durability, but super expensive.

But to come back, a simple diesel engine without a turbo vs a petrol engine in a car?

I know which one I’ll choose. 

Exactly thats why you mostly see diesel light vehicles from european manufacturers if not only European today. Even Japanese major car manufacturers have stopped production of diesel engine light vehicles. American manufacturers AFAIK never offered diesel variants other than some trucks and pickups with third party engines like Cummins. 

I wonder how a diesel mustang or Cadillac would drive :D

48 minutes ago, Xaf said:

Americans tried jet engined cars but they weren't very practical 

Although Leno does have another jet engine car and bike. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1