•  
Advertise here

Why no diesels?

Per A

41 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Exactly thats why you mostly see diesel light vehicles from european manufacturers if not only European today. Even Japanese major car manufacturers have stopped production of diesel engine light vehicles. American manufacturers AFAIK never offered diesel variants other than some trucks and pickups with third party engines like Cummins. 

I wonder how a diesel mustang or Cadillac would drive :D

Americans tried jet engined cars but they weren't very practical 

Although Leno does have another jet engine car and bike. 

@desertdude

thanks for the video, didn’t know this car.

Also nice video from Chrysler, other manufacturers should do the same when they add new stuff to a car.

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest problem you will face on modern diesels here is that it is mostly city driving. Even the big roads are stop start traffic in peak hours. The DPF will never get hot enough to regen and lead to expensive problems down the line. 

I prefer diesel cars personally. Great economy, awesome torque for pulling off the line. Better for tuning than petrol engines too. You have a naturally high compression ratio and the internals are stronger so can handle a lot more power. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

This is just a theory, and leaving @Barrys very valid points about DPF regeneration aside for the moment, I am thinking that the only people who don't like diesels are the ones who have never driven a modern diesel. 

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

14 minutes ago, treks said:

This is just a theory, and leaving @Barrys very valid points about DPF regeneration aside for the moment, I am thinking that the only people who don't like diesels are the ones who have never driven a modern diesel. 

that seems very true....

• Like (+1) 1