•  
Advertise here

Dashcam allowed in UAE ?

Frederic

After being almost ran over by some Super Safari gangsters again, my wife wanted to call the police recently to file a complaint but she didn't have any details or license plate number.

Which brings me to the question:

* Are Dashcams allowed in UAE ?

* And can the footage be used in court or legalle when sending to the police ?

Not sharing footage online of course because that would be a direct invasion against privacy laws.

• Like (+1) 6

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

33 minutes ago, Frederic said:

After being almost ran over by some Super Safari gangsters again, my wife wanted to call the police recently to file a complaint but she didn't have any details or license plate number.

Which brings me to the question:

* Are Dashcams allowed in UAE ?

* And can the footage be used in court or legalle when sending to the police ?

Not sharing footage online of course because that would be a direct invasion against privacy laws.

Good Point

• Like (+1) 2

Before going this route, download Dubai Police App and check these two services and see if you can directly report such idiots through the app:

• Police Eye (under Save People Life category)
  • We Are All Police (under Traffic Services category)

Second option you can remember the plate number, car and location and report to Dubai Police over the non-emergency phone number for reckless driving. They really call back the driver and give verbal warning. I received this call once, when local girl behind me flashing me and I was unable to change lane, as soon as I reached office I got a call and explained my side to the cops.

If you really want solid proof from Dash cam, I think you are allowed to record and use for police evidence only, still double check and get the same in writing for your protection.

Btw, don't buy the dash cam, take it from me as I have one - almost never used.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/transport/drivers-should-use-dash-cams-to-resolve-car-crash-disputes-police-boss-says-1.615774

I have a dash cam, infact 2 in my car. One on the front and one at the back. 

I remember reading an article in gulf news that stated it was OK as long as the footage is not posted on social media and can only be used to show the police in case of an accident.

Not sure about recording someone on the street breaking the law when no accident involved, that gets classed as invasion of privacy. ( edit: Link below states it is ok to record and share with the police only) Remember the guy who bought the number plate D4 for some millions, someone recorded him parking in a no parking space, he was fined but also filed a complaint against the person who recorded the video for invasion of privacy and that guy was fined too because he shared it on Facebook. 

Just found this link.

https://m.khaleejtimes.com/dubai-police-clarify-owning-dash-cams-not-iilegal

Edited by Brette
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2