•  
Advertise here

Changing Spark Plugs and Arm Bushes

Hello all,

I own a 2011 V8 Land Rover LR4. I take her off the road two/three times a month and push her to "my" limits :) 

I have been having some issues with my acceleration, throttle response and steering since the last off-road drive I went. I took the car to a shop closer to DXB Terminal 3 and they found that my lower and fore arm bushes were cracked/ torn. They could not find any issues related to my acceleration/ throttle response problem. They also told me that my transmission has no issues and my timing belt was doing okay. 

I asked them to take a look at the spark plugs. Because since the start of my throttle response problem, I have a feeling that my spark plugs are not working well. Since the V8 under the hood does not leave much space in LR4s, taking a look at the spark plugs is no easy job. That's why the shop that I am dealing with decided to give me a price for changing them without even checking their condition.

Car is still at the shop and I have just had a phone conversation with them about the cost of the repair. Please find the breakdown below:

• Spark plugs - 60 AED each (8x60=480AED)
  • Lower arm bushes - 250 AED for each wheel (250x2=500AED)
  • Fore arm bushes - 225 AED for each wheel (225x2=450AED)
  • Labor cost - they were pretty shady while giving this number but they asked for 1700AED

Even though the addition of all would be 3,150 AED, they asked 3,500 AED from me.

I made a quick search over the web on the material costs and found out that they are overcharging me for the bushes (the first aliexpress link that I found was asking 11USD + shipping for each)

I am writing here to hear from you on what you think about:

1. The cause of my throttle response/ acceleration problem
  2. The cause of my poor steering issues
  3. The material/ labor prices that I received from the shop
  4. The proper course of action that I have to take (keeping in mind that I want to get the car fixed before next Carnity drive :) )

I would also be glad if you could share any shop names here, if you think that they might fix my problems for a better price.

Cheers,

M

• Like (+1) 2

Go to the shop i sent the location below. His name is Sanjith. He is expert of European cars. Mostly German but i believe he can handle Land Rover also. 0585283007. He will give you the price first than he will do the job with your confirmation. His prices are more affordable when you compare with other European car mechanic shops. 

You can mention my name he knows me very well.

https://goo.gl/maps/HpsUoRW7FYj1G3wi7

Edited by sertac
  • Like (+1) 3

Ali express is no benchmark, please.

Call Gulf star, National Auto parts in shj for quick price check to decide.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, AKR said:

Buy a Jeep :-)

Or a donkey. Basically the same thing

On 12/12/2019 at 7:24 PM, Halit Mert Issever said:

@desertdude I definitely do not mind going to Sharjah. I can actually do it on Sunday.

Shit, sorry totally forgot about this. Send me a msg if you're still interested

• Like (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

On 12/19/2019 at 2:45 PM, desertdude said:

Shit, sorry totally forgot about this. Send me a msg if you're still interested

Got my issue solved! After benchmarking my shop with the one that @sertac gave, I managed to get a discount on both parts and labor costs.

I also discovered that main reason of my throttle response problem was the 2 kg of sand sitting on top of my air filters :)

After cleaning the sand, changing the spark plugs and bushes, driving feeling is much better than before!

Thanks all for your help!

On 12/19/2019 at 1:43 PM, AKR said:

Buy a Jeep :-)

Find me an extra parking spot, then I will :D 

Edited by Halit Mert Issever
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2