•  
Advertise here

Wheel Spacers vs Backspacing

Srikumar

Hi,

For my XJ which has a 3 inch lift, I am looking to widen the stance a bit (maximum an inch on either side) just to lower the overall center of gravity. The options that I have read up are

1) wheel spacers or

2) by reducing the back spacing of the rim.

I am currently running 15 inch stock steel rims with back spacing of 5.25 inch. Rim width is 7 inch.

I understand that with spacers its important to get a good brand and not from the Iranian shop. If I go that route, I will order them from the US.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

• Like (+1) 2

Yes wheel spacers can be found as universal ones but these are crap as they don’t have a center hub so alignment might become an issue.

Better to order the ones specific for XJ online. Maybe some of the Dubai off-road shops have some on the shelf.  H&R is a very good brand but a bit pricey.

I got 35mm spacers front and back  with center hub second hand via my workshop where a guy ordered them specifically for Pajero but never collected them. 

When buying rims look at the ET value. This is the offset value. 1C08D967-E5F7-42AA-91BE-0A92CBE81FB1.jpeg.d6cc21f20bebee4c5b5bb243ff94150a.jpeg

• Like (+1) 5

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

This is a very good topic as I knew only about the wheel spacers, never knew about reducing the back spacing of the rims. Tuned in to learn more. As per my knowledge besides the American brands, the Australian branded wheel spacers are also good options.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Spacers are aluminium so there is a chance of corrosion. Maybe not manufactured to support heavy steel wheels 

BTW question is why do you still have heavy steel wheels?

Are you sure that aluminium would corrode? 

The heavy steel wheels were stock, which I didn't change. But now that I am looking to widen the stance I thought that maybe I can change the rims to 15 inch aluminium with less backspacing so that it solves both issues at the same time.

Would anyone be aware of the approx costs of both options and if there are any advantages / disadvantages of each?

• Like (+1) 2

Both Steel and Aluminum have their own advantages and disadvantages:

No idea what alu rims cost here, and the quality differences they come with. You could have a look at secondhand ones too. Just make sure the bolting pattern fits and go for a rim with a low ET value to achieve that wider stance. 

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Deep dish rims are good ides to solve both issues but it is expensive and also require some custom brake job to fit them.

H&R spacers are good but majority here are fake unless you buy from authorized retailer. It's a very good known brand and that's why market are flooded with replicas.

I would go with spacer choice (reversible mod) and stick to your model specific ones even if you have to import from US with xaf overnight delivery option, lol.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.