•  
Advertise here

Ceramic coating

Shamil

I totally agree with @Brette.

I have done 3M Paint protection for my Pajero and it lasted max 6 months instead of 2 year warranty before minor swirls started to appear. However I was impressed with overall shiny look and smooth finish that last till now. It "might be" coz of the special paint and hardener I have used for the paint job and not only coating (not sure 100%).

I paid 650 for 3M Paint Protection (Silicon coating) not ceramic, only for exterior from the 1050 package of interior (scotchgard) and exterior (paint protection) from Apex Gulf in 2017.

Check the pictures here at there shop, just after the coating.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Brette said:

My GC is ceramic coated and did not have a swirl on it for the first year but after just 2 drives I started noticing the swirls and then gave up. 

Desert sand will blow of any car coated or not. Yes, I agree with the dust showing up in 30 seconds on a black car but that is something you can't avoid. It will happen even if you coat your car but will not look as bad when a car is coated or polished due to the reflections on a shiny black surface. 

To ceremaic coat a car you first wash, then have to decontaminate the paint to remove bonded brake dust and anything else stuck to the surface that you can not even see, clay the entire body and then polish atleast twice to remove all swirls and scrates that have not gone through the clear coat. Once all of the above is done, you have to wipe down with a non oily alcohol to remove any oils left from the polish and only then apply the ceramic coating. 

When you apply the coating, it can take anywhere between 60 seconds to 5 minutes to flash depending on the weather and has to be buffed immediately. If not buffed of at the right time, it will dry and then you will have to wet sand to remove it. 

A good ceramic job will cost at least 3k and last for about 2 years if you put in the effort to maintain it. Spend 200 every 6 month for a good waxing for the body and you will be good. 

One thing I always tell people when they ask about detailing is " Do it if you have the time to maintain/wash it yourself. The car wash places and the mall car wash guys will mess it up in a month" 

ok so this is very valuable feedback @Brette. I had no idea that the swirl marks would come on the coat after desert drives. So for the waxing option as you mentioned, which brand did you use and did you apply it yourself?

• Like (+1) 2

Have had ceramic coating on a black car before, not here but in sweden. Not sure how much difference the countries make but i added it when the car was new from factory and it didn't do much. Cleanend it day 1 and dusty day 2 the only thing i noticed it that it seemed easier to clean, dirt didn't stick, so it just basically needed a hose and a dry and it was good.

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Per A said:

Have had ceramic coating on a black car before, not here but in sweden. Not sure how much difference the countries make but i added it when the car was new from factory and it didn't do much. Cleanend it day 1 and dusty day 2 the only thing i noticed it that it seemed easier to clean, dirt didn't stick, so it just basically needed a hose and a dry and it was good.

Thing is people think ceramic coating is somekind of miracle auto carwash. That once they use it they will never have to wash or take care of their car again, at least for a year anyway.

CC is really for those people who are nuts about their rides and like to keep it better than factory finish quality all the time. The kind that clean even the inside of the AC vents daily with a soft bristle brush

More than anything it's paint protection the ease of cleaning is a secondary added bonus.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

5 hours ago, Shamil said:

ok so this is very valuable feedback @Brette. I had no idea that the swirl marks would come on the coat after desert drives. So for the waxing option as you mentioned, which brand did you use and did you apply it yourself?

I tend to lean towards Turtle Wax.  It's pretty good, not expensive and available at Carrefour. 

Yes, I do it myself. Afte to you wash the car, dry it and use the sponge pad that u get with the wax and apply a thin coat even coat in circular motions. Leave it to dry for about 30 minutes in the shade and then buff it of with a micro fiber cloth. Do it once in 2 months. It will take max 90 mins.  

A little elbow grease goes without saying...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gaurav said:

I totally agree with @Brette.

I have done 3M Paint protection for my Pajero and it lasted max 6 months instead of 2 year warranty before minor swirls started to appear.

Yes, silicon coating only has a 6 month life. They have to be stupid to tell you it will last for 2 years. 

Average time frames with various products if maintained.

Wax - 2 -3 months max

Silicon- 6-8 months max

Ceramic coating - 1.5  - 2 years max.

None of these are scratch proof. Ceramic coatings add about 8 to 10 microns thickness to the clear coat and when completely cured bonds like a very fine layer of quartz to the surface so it resists swirls to an extent but not completely.