•  
Advertise here

Dash Camera, recommendations ideas and thoughts?

Per A

I have had a few to many close calls with crazy drivers so im looking into getting a permanent, auto recording dash cam installed in the car, permanent and auto recording to reduce the risk of "im just going to get milk" and don't bring or turn on the camera.

Do any of you guys tried or using this and what are your thoughts?

Any one had any shop installed one?

/Per

• Like (+1) 1

i use the xiaomi 70mai dashcam which is quite reasonably priced and it works on a capacitor as opposed to lithium batteries (which is what most action cams such as gopro use). The advantage of capacitor powered dashcams is that they only work when the car is switched on and they can withstand higher temperatures as opposed to lithium battery powered action cams. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shamil said:

i use the xiaomi 70mai dashcam which is quite reasonably priced and it works on a capacitor as opposed to lithium batteries (which is what most action cams such as gopro use). The advantage of capacitor powered dashcams is that they only work when the car is switched on and they can withstand higher temperatures as opposed to lithium battery powered action cams. 

aaah ok thanks this was good info!

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Shamil said:

I would like to know the details of the same. Price,Spec and all

• Like (+1) 2

looks good but im thinking about something that has both front and rear.

Do you have your camera permanently mounted? Do you have to turn it on or off or is it automatic? 

• Like (+1) 1

If you have an old Smartphone lying around the house, you can easily make a dash cam out of it too. I downloaded an app called Smart Dash Cam on IOS which I use to record our drives sometimes. It only starts recording when you are actually moving, and makes videoclips of 2-3 mins each that you can upload to your Google Drive or Dropbox. It can also record on impact. The only negative thing is that I have to remove the phone when the car is parked in the clear sun or high temperature.

The problem with the very cheap dash-cams is the so-called 720 or 1080 quality which they like to put on the box, but when using it you will come to see that reading numberplates or more detailed data will be difficult to extract, which then basically makes it almost worthless to use. 

• Like (+1) 5

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

3 hours ago, Per A said:

looks good but im thinking about something that has both front and rear.

Do you have your camera permanently mounted? Do you have to turn it on or off or is it automatic? 

I have it permanently mounted and it automatically switches on and shuts off with the ignition.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the idea of recording all the time in case someone hits you in the parking lot.

One thing to be aware of is some mechanics will disconnect the camera when the car is in the shop. When I was in a dealership it was company policy to disconnect them for privacy purposes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Barry said:

One thing to be aware of is some mechanics will disconnect the camera when the car is in the shop. When I was in a dealership it was company policy to disconnect them for privacy purposes.

So that in the name of privacy they can charge for 5 days work when the car was sitting idle for 4 days.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.