•  
Advertise here

Share a picture of your town or area

Frederic

I did not take this picture, but it shows the view over the village of Hartbeespoort as seen from the top of the mountain directly behind my house. I might mention that with an age of 2.4 billion years, this mountain is among the second oldest mountains in the world.

Hartbeespoort.PNG

• Like (+1) 4
  • WOW (+2) 2

8 hours ago, treks said:

I did not take this picture, but it shows the view over the village of Hartbeespoort as seen from the top of the mountain directly behind my house. I might mention that with an age of 2.4 billion years, this mountain is among the second oldest mountains in the world.

Hartbeespoort.PNG

And that mountain is just slightly older than you and way less grumpy

Edited by desertdude
  • Haha (+1) 1

There is an old dismantled army base on top of the mountain behind my house. We used to race old cars round it when we were kids because it’s quiet, nobody ever goes up there unless to make mischief.

I always had an interest in the place. The yanks built it in the late 60s as a communications post to coordinate their subs in the Atlantic during the Cold War. It was dismantled in the early 80s so I never got to see it operational. 

The story locally was that the yanks built an underground bunker in the event that the Russians would nuke the place. I did find an entrance one day but it was filled in and appeared to be flooded, so that theory is particularly confirmed. 

The other story is that when the yanks left, they didn’t take any of their equipment with them. It was all buried underground. Communications, electrical, even jeeps. 

It’s now emerging in the media after the release of military documents that an entire storage complex was built in the mountain which is solid granite. The complex was originally built to hide conventional weapons but was modified to hold chemical and nuclear weapons. The government are now worried that when the yanks left, they left behind nukes and chemical weapons inside the mountain. There is a high possibility. Forms of rare cancers and other diseases have been high in the surrounding area. Why would they bury vehicles and equipment instead of taking it with them? Unless it was contaminated? It stands to reason they left everything else in a hurry and ran away. 

• Sad (0) 1
  • WOW (+2) 2

@Barry, one can expect anything from the Yanks. They once accidentally dropped a couple of nuclear bombs over Italy, and while they paid for the massive cleanup, they still have not compensated the local tomato farmers for the loss of thousands of acres of tomato vines.

If the mountain behind your house does turn out to be contaminated,they will probably either deny that its their fault,  or they will bury the mountain and village and then make guys you pay for it. Either way, the Yanks will weasel out of their responsibilities.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

36 minutes ago, treks said:

@Barry, one can expect anything from the Yanks. They once accidentally dropped a couple of nuclear bombs over Italy, and while they paid for the massive cleanup, they still have not compensated the local tomato farmers for the loss of thousands of acres of tomato vines.

If the mountain behind your house does turn out to be contaminated,they will probably either deny that its their fault,  or they will bury the mountain and village and then make guys you pay for it. Either way, the Yanks will weasel out of their responsibilities.   

To date, there are 11 lost American nukes out there somewhere unaccounted for. That’s only the ones they have admitted to losing. 11 nukes are enough to contaminate most of the habited world. Who knows what else they have abandoned and ran away from? 

Ireland is 3,000 KM from Ukraine. When the Chernobyl power plant exploded in 1986, a lot of the fallout was carried on the easterly winds and a lot of it landed on the highest mountains in the north of Ireland. It’s only in the past few years that meat from animals in certain areas has been declared safe to eat. Before that, sheep used to light up Geiger counters. 

Some of the stuff going on in the world is insane and if you dare to bring it up, you’re dismissed as a crazy conspiracy theorist. 

• WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, treks said:

39 minutes ago, Barry said:

To date, there are 11 lost American nukes out there somewhere unaccounted for. That’s only the ones they have admitted to losing. 11 nukes are enough to contaminate most of the habited world. Who knows what else they have abandoned and ran away from? 

Ireland is 3,000 KM from Ukraine. When the Chernobyl power plant exploded in 1986, a lot of the fallout was carried on the easterly winds and a lot of it landed on the highest mountains in the north of Ireland. It’s only in the past few years that meat from animals in certain areas has been declared safe to eat. Before that, sheep used to light up Geiger counters. 

Some of the stuff going on in the world is insane and if you dare to bring it up, you’re dismissed as a crazy conspiracy theorist. 

"Don't know what is scarier, losing a nuclear weapon, or that it happens so often that there is a term for it"

No prizes for guessing the reference or the term

• Like (+1) 2