•  
Advertise here

Never again

Barry

What car things have you done that you never want to do again?

For me it has to be buying rusty cars. The worst part about restoring a car is patching rust. It never looks bad but once you start poking at it, you end up replacing so many panels that it isnt even the original car any more. Far easier to just start with a good base. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like (+1) 4

I never trust any mechanic, car dealer, service advisers, workshop, parts seller again.

Because I have been fooled, cheated and badly treated with all those people as soon as I develop 1% of trust.

It become my nature now to do a thorough research for any car job, so that I know it's not gonna backfire and ruin thousands later. Spending 30 minutes in research or fact finding is better than wasting days with dishonest / non-technical people plus the extent of damage they can cause is immeasurable.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Gear issue of one car and A/C issue of another car gave me so much headache that my family started saying I should shift my flat next to my mechanic. Nver again for buying any car with gear and ac issue again

• Like (+1) 2

For me it was when i bought a VW tiguan almost 10 yrs ago. Biggest financial blunder of my life!!

A year after using it, the transmission fails on me and I had to spend an arm and a leg getting it sorted. After that, I wanted to sell it but i barely got any buyers and after almost 6 months, i let it go for a throw away price. I mean no offense to any one, as everyone has their own opinions, but after that, I personally decided to never ever go for European cars ever again. I swear by Japanese makes as I feel they stand the test of time and yet they are not as expensive to maintain(or buy) as their European counterparts. Sure their cars are not as teched out as say - german makes for example but I would rather drive a no-frills noisy truck that will last longer than a fancy european car with numerous sensors, features and what not, which probably wont last very long.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

German and Italian engineering is way overrated! In my own research German engineering I've figured out they overbuild their cars for extreme cold climate usage. If you look at the systems how they are built. It's all for extreme cold. Oil coolers that are kept warm by coolant rather than air incase it's cold outside. Transmission cooling lines even having their own thermostats. Intakes warmed by coolant etc etc . But with only basic engine and trans cooling for hot weather like here. They spent months doing extreme cold weather testing and just a week in Dubai for hot climate testing and that too in the cooler months. 

Japs do well because they build for cold and hot temps so they are in the sweet spot.

That's my thinking anyways. 

Most of the German car transmissions blow due to having that bullshit claim of being sealed for life and shitty cooling systems designed by the Germans leading them to overheat and fail.

• Like (+1) 3

Never going to go looking for a rare bargain. As @Shamil pointed out expensive to maintain and difficult to resell with peanuts in return. Always going to buy the popular ones at a slightly higher price if necessary. If I win a million this thought process is subject to change.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/9/2020 at 3:36 PM, Barry said:

For me it has to be buying rusty cars. The worst part about restoring a car is patching rust. It never looks bad but once you start poking at it, you end up replacing so many panels that it isnt even the original car any more. Far easier to just start with a good base. 

Ah yes, I remember I was restoring a 71 VW super beetle with my dad, the floor was rusted and we ended up replacing the whole bottom, this is a nightmare.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1