•  
Advertise here

Wading depth? bad puddles in dubai....

Per A

What wading depth do you have on your cars and do you risk it going through them?

The manual of my pajero says 700mm (27Inches) but i would not try that, after about 300-400mm go scardycat and drive around....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I definitely would not go more than 300-400mm with ANY 4x4 or SUV. 

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Water wading depth of 4x4 is not the good enough number to justify anyone's desire to splash the rain water puddle. Secondly water wading through wadi or river is totally different than through the big rain puddles, that has tons of contamination from road and debris. You really cannot see what's under that rain water and you might step on broken car part or a log of wood.

Water entering the air intake is not the only danger to your vehicle. A vehicle's rated water wading depth takes into account electrical, mechanical and electronic components that might be damaged in a water crossing, as well as how well sealed the car cabin is from water intrusion. However, all these numbers are great when your car was brand new, but taking those water wading big numbers on 5-10-20 years of used vehicle is not a sensible idea.

wading.jpg

Every 4x4 manual has a list of things to check and change after the serious water wading. And yes @Per A I think your choice of 300-400 mm (at max) is plenty. Going beyond that you might need to check following things.

• All differential oil might get water through the breather pipe.
  • Brake disc might get crack if they were too hot before entering the water.
  • Airbag might pop as their sensors are usually placed under the bumper.
  • If radiator fan hit the water it will splash everywhere in the engine bay.
  • All electronics might fail if battery goes down while car is still moving.

If you can't avoid driving during the heavy rain, take these precautions:

• Avoid heavily flooded roads.
  • Slow down through rain puddles.
  • Check with your insurance if flood damage is covered.
  • Park your car on high ground as much as possible during the heavy rain.
  • 4x4 and SUV are better than sedan or sports car, as their air filter intake is fairly down. If more than 1 cup of water goes inside the engine through air intake it can instantly seize your car engine due to hydrostatic lock.
    • A Hydrostatic Lock is basically a condition when the engine of your vehicle gets locked due to water seeping in. This results in your car not starting or stalling when you are moving. A hydrostatic lock happens when your vehicle is moving through a flooded area or is parked in any area prone to floods.

What to do with flooded cars?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Interesting topic, I just received a newsletter from souqalmal on insurance claims during rainy season

--

By law, all insurance providers have to cover natural calamities. However, we found that different insurance providers have different conditions to this clause from our discussions with them. Here are a few conditions providers have mentioned in their policy documents:

• Many insurance companies will cover the claim if the authority of the country declares the event officially as a natural calamity.
  • All insurance companies will request a police report with the claim.
  • Some providers will cover the claim, provided that the vehicle is not driven.

The answer is therefore not black and white as to whether your claim, after the latest rainy days of the UAE, will be accepted.

• Like (+1) 2

I've taking my P38 range Rover upto hood height as in water was just splashing on top on the hood in the front. And not on purpose.

Again it was raining in Shj and there was a diversion from behind gargash showroom in industrial area as the bridge next to it was being built. 

I remembered the bow wave theory and kept a steady pace and soldiered on. I almost has to stop because the pickup in front of me conked and died and I didn't want to stop in deep water so went to the deeper side of the road and that's where it got real deep but thankfully I made ir

• Like (+1) 1