•  
Advertise here

Traction control?

i have been getting curious about the traction control on the pajero as i have a few times heard a "crunching" sound from the rear when accelerating and one tyre is slipping but i wrote it of as the abs working for the traction controls.

Today i know i would have the issue as i was exiting a gas station and it was wet stone so i pressed the button to turn it off.

The crunching in the back still there but atleast the engine did not cut power.

Can someone confirm to me that the "crunching" sound is the abs working for the traction controls.

And as far as i know the button dont turn it off completely as you have to pull the fuze when in the desert so some parts of it should be working, right?

• Like (+1) 1

On the Pajero it can be completely switched off like this:

1) Switch off the engine, remove the key, open the engine bay, and locate the ABS relay, not the fuse because the fuse is very hard to pull out. The Relay is labeled below as B-17X (B).

AC608527AD00ENG.png.3dc1eb54a68288665adaa3a369c109e6.png

2) Start the car, and push a few seconds on the ASC-button to disengage the Traction Control.

3) Go for a spin.

You will likely see your ABS light flickering as crazy, but it won't engage or cut the power. I do this on my wife's 2008 Pajero and it works fine. Maybe on the younger pajeros this method is not necessary but i am not sure of that.

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

8 minutes ago, Frederic said:

On the Pajero it can be completely switched off like this:

1) Switch off the engine, remove the key, open the engine bay, and locate the ABS relay, not the fuse because the fuse is very hard to pull out. The Relay is labeled below as B-17X (B).

AC608527AD00ENG.png.3dc1eb54a68288665adaa3a369c109e6.png

2) Start the car, and push a few seconds on the ASC-button to disengage the Traction Control.

3) Go for a spin.

You will likely see your ABS light flickering as crazy, but it won't engage or cut the power. I do this on my wife's 2008 Pajero and it works fine. Maybe on the younger pajeros this method is not necessary but i am not sure of that.

This i will try, i can just pull it and plant one tyre on sand and hit the cas. If the crunching is there its not the abs....

• Like (+1) 1

You could go to most off-road shops and they will install a killswitch for 200 aed or less. I would recommend to do this since the airbags need to be deactivated too, you do not want them to go off while offroading. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

1 hour ago, Javier M said:

You could go to most off-road shops and they will install a killswitch for 200 aed or less. I would recommend to do this since the airbags need to be deactivated too, you do not want them to go off while offroading. 

AAAAAH Smart thinking....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 11 months later...
On 1/15/2020 at 2:39 PM, Javier M said:

Is there a fuse for the Airbag ? or do they install the kill switch directly through the cabling of the Airbag .

If they mess-up with the Airbag cabling , I would say this is a dangerous way to deal with the situation. every time the kill switch is used , there is a chance of Airbag discharge. ( I have this opinion based on a car repair manual for installing/removing front airbag. actually -  even a static charge from your hand to the airbag connection can activate the airbag discharge ).

• Like (+1) 1

If you drive a Pajero, just pull the ABS relay. No need for kill switches. 

With regards to the Airbags, the main issue are the side airbags which are connected to an angle sensor and have the tendency to go off during off-roading but I don’t think the Pajero has them.The frontal airbags will not go off without any reason unless during a frontal crash where at that point they would actually be useful.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."