•  
Advertise here

Accord Headliner Sagged

Hi All,

My Honda Accord 2012 headliner sagged a bit down on top of Driver & Passenger side; it has a fabric material not Alcantra.

I managed to call a couple of auto upholstery shops in Sharjah and everyone saying they shall remove the old cloth, clean the board and put a new matching color cloth. 

Just wondering if a DIY is possible to paste the removed cloth back as it is only a portion of it, or else if some fellow could recommend a place who could do the same thing rather than a new cloth installation.

145e756e-50ed-412a-b3e8-dd81d9b1e1d9.jpg.08cd6e435254b1c0a3407654e573e90b.jpg

1c7495b0-3191-4f1d-add8-680c7b12a2a3.jpg

Edited by MisterPoet
  • Like (+1) 1

Any idea about the root cause of the sagging ? If the car has a sunroof you might have had water leakage ?

If the headliner is dry and in good shape, you should be apply to apply some sealant silicon (like TEC7) on the headliner and gently push it back in place. If it got wet, then i would definitely advise to get it replaced or you might start getting mold and funky smells.

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

If you don’t care how it looks you can stick it with bison kit or spray adhesive. The advantage of using new fabric is that it’s clean. When you reuse old fabric it’s impossible to clean the old residue off so you will end up with little lumps and bumps where it was stuck. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

21 minutes ago, MisterPoet said:

@ Frederic, no sunroof brother; I have attached pictures now, you can see it.

Its fully DRY and in perfect dry condition.

If the headliner fabric came loose from its foam core, then you could indeed use a kind of 3M adhesive spray, but i am afraid it might bleed through it as mentioned in below topic.

This seems to be a common issue with the previous Accord models too:

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/whats-a-good-way-to-fix-a-sagging-headliner.39011/

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

This sagging roof liner is VERY common in German cars and second common in US cars, I rarely seen this in Japanese cars.

I had same issue with my Cayenne and took it to Sara Auto Care for proper job (1600 dhs) for alcantra replacement. You are lucky that its fabric and it will be lot be cheaper.

I tried few DIY stunts of cutting open and spraying 3M glue, than using liquid paste fabric adhesive but none of them actually worked because the foam used inside has gone so bad that with touch of adhesive it simply crumble and fall inside the liner. If I put too much glue, big spots were visible from underneath and after 1 day it will sag again. It was a terrible idea for DIY and I wasted lot of time and money for experiment.

Root problem is the foam used inside is not strong enough to hold GCC heat and that's why it decomposes after few summers. It was very very common in Porsche, VW, Merc, BMW as sara auto guys showed me several images of the similar job they have done. 

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Frederic and @Gaurav, Thank you for your input. I have read your response on that topic. 

The price I got over phone from 2 shops in Sharjah is AED 500-600 for complete cloth replacement. There is another shop which my garage guy recommended and he is asking AED 250 for the same job (not sure how he could offer it in half the price).

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MisterPoet said:

@Frederic and @Gaurav, Thank you for your input. I have read your response on that topic. 

The price I got over phone from 2 shops in Sharjah is AED 500-600 for complete cloth replacement. There is another shop which my garage guy recommended and he is asking AED 250 for the same job (not sure how he could offer it in half the price).

I came across same stuff, as people who remove, clean and reuse same fabric with new foam charges less as oppose to who use new fabric with new foam.

So get the same quote from all guys to compare and ask them to show sample cars or car pics of the job they have done. If done by amateur, it might spoil the interior and it might sag again soon.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.