•  

Fewbie Desert Drive - Faqa - Solar Park - 24 Jan 2020

Srikumar

Due to the shortage of time last week, there was some unfinished business on the dunes south of the Solar Panels. So lets attempt to reach there this time starting from Al Faqa. The area provides long range dunes that offer a perfect playground to ramp up the pace a bit and stretch the legs of both car and driver.  We will explore the area, and alternate between side sloping, ridge crossing, and enjoy whatever this area has to offer.

This drive is for Fewbie and above level only.  

When: 24 January 2020, Friday
Meeting time: 06:45 AM, the convoy
 will move sharply at 07:00 AM
Where: Al Faqa

GPS Coordinate: https://goo.gl/maps/dt57TRJ3ak4SrCkX8

Level of drive: Fewbie and above
Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance.
Plan: Drive and enjoy until about 12 PM, with some small breaks in between to have breakfast and snacks.
What to bring along: Some snacks, plenty of water - whatever you like with little extra to share, smiles, stories, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 12 PM

Please RSVP the below calendar event

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@Nicholas Spencer looks like you have signed up for the wrong drive as this is for Fewbie and above. Since this is the first time for you with Carnity you can join the Newbie Drive which is posted in the below link

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/21/2020 at 3:46 PM, Srikumar said:

@Tbone I have noticed you have signed up on both the Newbie and Fewbie drives. Which one are you attending? Accordingly please sign off from the other drive.

Sorry for the late reply, I have signed off the Newbie drive. 

• Like (+1) 3

Rain hardened sand, tricky creamy dunes, roaming oryxes, tens of gazelles (too fast to photograph): nice ingredients of this nicely paced, educational, fun filled drive. Thank you all for the leading, challenging, accompanying, wondering. See you soon out there. 

20200124_093508-01-1152x864.jpeg

20200124_121303-01-1152x864.jpeg

20200124_115718-01-1152x843.jpeg

20200124_111839-01-1152x864.jpeg

• Like (+1) 7
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Upon reaching the meeting point and realizing that @Javier M and @Srikumar are not making it, i realized that I would have to step up to a sweeping role. Although this is not the first time I have sweeped, I knew I would have to be very attentive on this drive. I was anticipating a difficult day ahead since there werent any senior members besides @Frederic who was leading. 

So as the drive commenced, I rolled up my sleeves(mentally), ready to get down and dirty with rescues, shoveling and basically gearing up to all kinds of recovery methods. But what happened instead was - a very smooth drive whereby the radio was barely used since everyone managed like PROs!! We had 2 pop outs and those were the only occasions where we actually stepped out of the cars and caught up with the other drivers. 

Kudos and a major shout out to @Frederic who effortlessly, led the convoy, keeping the skills of the drivers in mind, due to which we were able to tackle the trail quite comfortably and I think i speak on behalf of all the drivers. Thank you for the detailed write up as usual @Wrangeld, it is always a pleasure to read trip reports of such fun filled days as you paint a beautiful picture through your words.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use