•  
Advertise here

Upgraded horns for Indian market

Barry

I had heard before that Indian cars had upgraded horns because of excessive usage but I always thought it was an urban myth.

Anyway, it's an old article but you learn something new every day.

https://jalopnik.com/audi-is-designing-extra-loud-horns-for-india-5896859

It's borderline rude to honk at someone in Europe unless its an emergency and the roads are generally peaceful unless you're driving like a dick. I found it crazy when I first came here how much people honk at each other but its something you learn to ignore. If someone decides to have a mental episode and lose their mind and ruin their own day, that's their problem not mine. I'll keep driving nicely and not ruin my day.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I guess its something to do with size of population on any given road.

In 1970-80 with few thousand cars in UAE, no one was honking here in Dubai and not much red lights were there. I'm in Dubai since 2000 and remember reaching Internet city in 10-15 minutes from Bur Dubai.

Now with 5 million cars everyone at least honk here almost daily.

Now imagine with 300+ million cars in India.

@Frederic how is China? Do they also honk a lot?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

54 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

In 1970-80 with few thousand cars in UAE, no one was honking here in Dubai and not much red lights were there. I'm in Dubai since 2000 and remember reaching Internet city in 10-15 minutes from Bur Dubai.

I can’t speak for the whole of China, but the few major cities I was in it was very civilized. Hardly any honking. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

4 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Back in the 70s UAE had one lane going into Dubai from Sharjah and one lane on the return. Sheikh Zayed Road was similar. Sharjah and Ajman have always had cheap housing and Dubai always offered jobs for all. The traffic in those days used to be just as bad. Come the 80s they made 2 lane roads Dubai to Sharjah, with Garhood bridge added to the 2 lanes on Maktoum bridge. Traffic has always been somewhat tough and honking has always been the first language spoken on the UAE roads. A sample of it is UAE residents are too lazy and even for a can of Pepsi would honk at a grocery store to get it for them.

• Totally Agree (+2) 2

In my country it is illegal to honk at anyone or anything unless there is some sort of emergency, and honking is required to warn other drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, drunken/unlicensed taxi drivers, and/or drunken/unlicensed bus drivers of the danger. If however, everyone who honked illegally were ticketed by real cops and the fines were collected and not stolen by bogus cops, we could wipe out our national debt in a few days.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 1/21/2020 at 11:13 PM, Rahimdad said:

Back in the 70s UAE had one lane going into Dubai from Sharjah and one lane on the return. Sheikh Zayed Road was similar. Sharjah and Ajman have always had cheap housing and Dubai always offered jobs for all. The traffic in those days used to be just as bad. Come the 80s they made 2 lane roads Dubai to Sharjah, with Garhood bridge added to the 2 lanes on Maktoum bridge. Traffic has always been somewhat tough and honking has always been the first language spoken on the UAE roads. A sample of it is UAE residents are too lazy and even for a can of Pepsi would honk at a grocery store to get it for them.

Not only Bebsi Bhai till now for Karak its important to HONK

I wonder if Planes Honk at each other if they are close enough or Tail Gating !

I have seen Trains and Ships blowing that Loud HONK at each other.

• Haha (+1) 2