•  
Advertise here

Starlink satellite train

Barry

Thanks @Barry for sharing this, as I missed it last time so I am really hoping to see it this time.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

You can track them here,

https://me.cmdr2.org/starlink/

I think the plan is to eventually put 42,000 of these satellites in the sky. It will change stargazing as we know it. I do however like that they could possibly break the Etisalat/Du duopoly but no doubt the bigwigs are already formulating a plan so residents don’t have access to it. Maybe a big weather controlled dome over UAE like in total recall.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I am a long-time amateur astronomer, and I have three questions about this scheme that I have wanted to ask since this madness first became known-  

1) Since Elon Musk is all about astronomy, and space exploration, and was he perhaps drunk when he thought up this idiotic plan? 

2) What idiot, or group of idiots, approved this moronic plan? 

3) Did NASA play any role in approving this idiotic plan, and if they did, was it because they were afraid of losing SpaceX's boosters, (seeing that they have no lifting capability of their own) if they did not go along with this asinine idea? 

As I said, I spend a lot of time watching the night sky, and while I don't do astrophotography anymore, nobody in the world who does will be able to take long exposure pictures without capturing God knows how many satellite trails, as well. 'Nuff Said.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

It’s a nice concept, the idea of providing internet access to anyone, no matter how remote they are. I would guess the implementation is one of Mr Musks 420 bro ideas. 

It is getting pretty crowded up there now. There are currently around 5,000 man made satellites in the sky, with less than half still operational. The total amount of objects including junk currently being tracked are around 20,000 and there are an estimated 128 million tiny pieces flying around up there. It’s only a matter of time before something hits one of SpaceX’s rockets and destroys it, then the crying will begin. 

Humans are pretty shit. Not content with destroying the land and water with garbage, we’re destroying the sky with garbage too. It’s no wonder aliens don’t want to contact us. We might have computers, phones, cars etc but we’re still pretty primitive. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

10 minutes ago, Barry said:

I’s no wonder aliens don’t want to contact us. 

But they sure are curious about we are up to.

As for the rest, it's just more sky is falling sensationalism. Most of it is small debris. An astronaut loses a screw during a spacewalk that also becomes part of the record.

The Earth is huge and it's sky even huge-er take the UAE and spread 5000 cars ( avg size of a satellite ) around it or throw 128 million basketballs ( avg size of space debris ) all over it. You think it will get crowded? Now spread this all over the Earth and see it's really not as big a deal as some are making it out to be. Most of this will eventually burn up in the atmosphere anyways And majority of it not all is not because some careless person went in vacation and left his chocolate wrappers and juice boxes behind. 

Unnecessarily littering space is another thing like testing missiles to blow up satellites and creating a big debri field for no real good reason.

If a few sats get damaged due to collisions with space junk then that's just the price to pay. But right now it's pretty rare. 

The ISS space station has been in orbit for 20 plus years now and very rarely does this happen. Last time it did. They literally plugged the hole with there finger and later some duct tape. No I'm not joking you can look this up

11 hours ago, treks said:

I am a long-time amateur astronomer, and I have three questions about this scheme that I have wanted to ask since this madness first became known-  

1) Since Elon Musk is all about astronomy, and space exploration, and was he perhaps drunk when he thought up this idiotic plan? 

2) What idiot, or group of idiots, approved this moronic plan? 

3) Did NASA play any role in approving this idiotic plan, and if they did, was it because they were afraid of losing SpaceX's boosters, (seeing that they have no lifting capability of their own) if they did not go along with this asinine idea? 

As I said, I spend a lot of time watching the night sky, and while I don't do astrophotography anymore, nobody in the world who does will be able to take long exposure pictures without capturing God knows how many satellite trails, as well. 'Nuff Said.   

So we should deprive the world from free internet because a few astrophotographers might get some sat trails in their pics?

26 minutes ago, Barry said:

I’s no wonder aliens don’t want to contact us. 

But they sure are curious about we are up to.

As for the rest, it's just more sky is falling sensationalism

• Haha (+1) 1

@desertdude do you really think it will be free though? The estimated cost to build the infrastructure is in the region of $10 billion.  I know Elon Musk thinks himself as something of a philanthropist but that's a big outlay and I'm sure he will look to recoup the costs somehow.

The neighboring village from my home village is using a satellite internet network. They were lucky to get 500 kbps download speed through the lines on a good day. The satellite network gives them over 10 gbps with a big but. It costs them over double the price of the wired network. It's a necessity for the people in the area running businesses so there's not much they can do but cry and suck it up. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Barry said:

@desertdude do you really think it will be free though? The estimated cost to build the infrastructure is in the region of $10 billion.  I know Elon Musk thinks himself as something of a philanthropist but that's a big outlay and I'm sure he will look to recoup the costs somehow.

The neighboring village from my home village is using a satellite internet network. They were lucky to get 500 kbps download speed through the lines on a good day. The satellite network gives them over 10 gbps with a big but. It costs them over double the price of the wired network. It's a necessity for the people in the area running businesses so there's not much they can do but cry and suck it up. 

Nothing in life is free, but I'm talking about taking it for face value right now. 

Like many people are making noise about free access to Facebook across many poor African nations. Around 655 million people who previously had no access to Internet or very expensive internet now can access Facebook.

Now tell me what is better no access or some free access even if it is through Facebook?

• Like (+1) 1

Free access to Facebook in third world countries is one of the worst possible ways to roll out a free internet service. It just perpetuates the spread of misinformation, populism, and keeps people in ignorance. Giving people free access to something like wikipedia would be far more useful. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

7 hours ago, Barry said:

Free access to Facebook in third world countries is one of the worst possible ways to roll out a free internet service. It just perpetuates the spread of misinformation, populism, and keeps people in ignorance. Giving people free access to something like wikipedia would be far more useful. 

That's what our first world mentality says sitting in sanctimonious high horses. 

But ask the people who are actually using it and benefited a great deal from it. 

Millions are earning some kind of income from it which they were not able to before. They are able to stay in touch with friends and family through messenger.

I know many such artists who are promoting their art and gaining a name for themselves through this free access in their respective countries and communities. Small online service oriented bussiness have cropped up. Of course there are people who will waste it on stupid shit. But those can be found everywhere.

Just like everything including the internet and Facebook it's up to you how you use it. 

Just today I was having a discussion with the Mrs about this that literally the collective knowledge of the human race is at your disposal at your finger tips but what do most people do with this ennourmous blessing? Waste it on bullshit like tiktok and Instagram

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2