•  
Advertise here

Clicking sound rear side on H3

Frederic

My buddy’s H3 has developed a weird clicking noise from the back side. He brought it to his workshop but they were not able to figure this one out. The sounds are louder in the morning and decrease after 15-20mins which makes me think the diff oil provides better lubrication at operating temp and lessens the noise.

Below a small video of the issue: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtvurdcx3fefrse/VID_20200209_165956.mp4?dl=0

@Tbone you complained about drive shaft sounds also lately. Does it sounds similar to this ?

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hmmm. Hard to say could be anything in the rear drive line from the shaft to the axels. 

Any accompanying vibes or shudder?

Also have to make sure it's coming from the rear. It's hard to tell like this and the sound bounces off the toad.  Could also be from the trans or xfer case location.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Srikumar said:

Check the cross of the drive shaft. If that has gone bad it might cause this noise. Tell your friend to go under the cargo and try to rotate the drive shaft by hand and see if there is any play. 

Minor play of 1 cm round movement is acceptable especially on US brands as oppose to German or Japanese brands.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Sounds like a suspension squeak, but too difficult to catch a noise with outdoor and wind noise. Try to replicate the noise in basement parking to isolate the actual noise.

4 hours ago, adelishakk said:

hummerforums are very informative on such issues he can try searching it on this as linked below

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/

Totally agree, all abroad forums are very informative as those cars break and they discuss stuff to help "EACH OTHER".

In UAE, most cars are unbreakable or my friend knows it all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I've sent him above replies. He will keep in touch with me and will keep this topic updated.

He has leaf suspension at the back, but the noise sounds like a bearing that's failing. Let's see.

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I listened it again and yes after you mentioned bearing my mind was inclined towards bearing, but knowing H3 leaf spring initially my doubt was on leaf spring holding component like brackets, U clips etc.

He can go to any auto pro for free tire check and rotate them to see if he hear any noise then it could be wheel bearing. If not he will have a full access to under body to give suspension parts a nice wiggle to see something is loose or broken.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1