•  
Advertise here

Better Braking system for 4WDs or Gimmick to sell?

As this has been my favorite Aussie channel for long time, watching 4WD Action videos for long time, The way they modify their Cars,   Adventure they have , Shano's Cooking. Total Cool Stuff!

But this Video sets a new thing, I dont know anything about this stuff. Maybe the My off roader friends finds use of it.

Please also let me know if this true or sales Gimmick?

Edited by DiamondDallas
  • Like (+1) 1

In a straight line yes of course bigger brakes make a lot of difference. However on the dunes, not really, because you don't use the brakes too much. 

I would also think on adding a bigger master cylinder, sometimes only adding rotors, pads and lines will not be enough, depending on the car. 

• Like (+1) 3

Increasing the master cylinder diameter actually decreases braking performance unless you either fit (much) bigger discs, or (much) larger pads to increase the contact area between the discs and the pads. Much of a vehicles' braking performance depends on the relationship between the master cylinder diameter and the diameter of the caliper pistons. For instance, if the caliper pistons are say, four times as big as the master cylinder, the force/pressure generated by the master cylinder is multiplied by four in each caliper.

Therefore, if you increase the diameter of the master cylinder by say 15%, the multiplication factor decreases non-linearly; ergo,you get reduced braking performance if nothing else changes. In practice, increasing the master cylinder diameter causes not only the brake force multiplication factor to decrease almost exponentially- it also causes the force required on the pedal to increase linearly, which means that the average driver may not have the leg strength to stop the vehicle at all.   

It's like the guy in the video says, there are a whole lot of variables to take into consideration when you upgrade brakes. In Africa we do much the same thing this guy did when we upgrade the brakes on overland expedition vehicles, but one thing we never do is increase the wheel diameter, because the added brake torque can (and often does) negate the benefits of the upgrade.

I do agree however that in purely desert conditions, this particular brake upgrade is more trouble than it is worth.      

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 5