•  
Advertise here

Hands free walkie talkie

Rizwanm2

On 2/20/2020 at 7:10 PM, Gaurav said:
  • Expensive (5-10 times)
  • Installation overhead and space
  • Higher wattage is not always advisable, as it will pick lot of chatter / interference

Higher wattage only affects the transmission output power, ie people can hear you from further away. It won't affect what you can hear through your set. Sets are cheap, check eBay. Installation is easy and doesn't take up much space. Mag mounted aerial on the roof and the radio connects to the cigarette lighter. Most modern sets are the size of 2 cigarette packets.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:25 PM, Javier M said:

Actually, prices of the CB radios are not that expensive and antenas are not that big and can easily pass as the radio antenna. 

The advantage is that you don't have to remember to charge your radio, range and sound quality is way better than certain cheap crappy hand held. Disadvantage is that you have to be near your car to talk over the radio. 

Source? Certain Mexican's Jeep..

I got into CB at an early age through my uncle. A basic setup is actually pretty cheap. A couple of hundred dirhams will buy a basic second hand 40 channel Cobra radio and a mag mount antenna. All plug and play and totally removable. I started out with a little Maycom EM27 and modified it so I could receive AM, FM and SSBs. I swapped that for a Cobra 29 that I modified to receive unlimited frequencies. It's an addictive hobby and I ended up buying a President Lincoln home base and a huge antenna mounted to the roof of my dads garage. My dad went crazy when I dug up his garden to run the cables. We used to get a lot of use out of car mounted mobile units at home when we were young stupid kids into street racing. You could send a sweeper car up the road first to report that everything was clear, no cops, no people walking on the road etc. We also used to play a game called catch the fox. Someone would go and hide somewhere in their car and send a message every few minutes foxy foxy foxy. Then the hunters would try to track down the signal using the Rx meter. Spent many teenage nights DXing, looking for a good skip, bouncing signals off the ionosphere and ended up with a pretty good collection of QSL cards from all over the world. I have so many good radio stories. I still have a lot of my gear back home in my dads house but god knows if I'll ever go back and use it. Definitely a fun hobby though. There are people out there now sending messages to and receiving messages from the ISS. Apparently the guys up there are more than happy to chat to people who have the equipment to contact them. The mobile phone killed the scene a bit but there are still die hard guys out there.

• Like (+1) 3