•  
Advertise here

Hands free walkie talkie

Rizwanm2

One of the basic requirement to go off road is to equip with 2 way walkie talkie. in general, all off roaders are using a handheld radio to communicate during the drives. I think this handheld walkie talkies are quite distracting when we do off road driving. Whenever we want to talk we need to take one hand off the wheel, pick up the radio press the button get it closer to your mouth and talk. After the conversation we need to make sure the radio is held somewhere securely.  Also this radio can be cannon ball to your face if it is not secured properly.  So I feel this is quite inefficient and unsafe as well.

Does anyone have solution or idea to use the radio with minimal distraction?  Preferably like hands free. 

• Like (+1) 2

2100183_PM_EN.pdf

You might be interested in Hands-Free Headsets. See attached. 

This will help securing the radio somewhere while still be able to communicate. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

First of all I disagree it's a basic requirement, anyway that's a whole other story

Why not just follow the rules of aviation

Aviate, navigate and communicate.

Communication being the last priority.

So modify it to your own situation. 

Driving the car and being safe takes first priority.

If you are doing a climb or tackling a sidey and you get a radio call. What ever it is. It isn't that important that you have to respond immediately even if that means putting yourself in danger and even risking harm to yourself and others.

Concentrate on the task ahead, finish it and only when it's safe to do so. Respond to the radio.

I know most people think when they get a telephone call ( Or in this case radio call )it has to be answered immediately. Regardless of what situation you are in whether you are sleeping or trying to navigate a tricky roundabout in heavy traffic as if God himself is calling and you cannot risk his wrath

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 6

33 minutes ago, Javier M said:

2100183_PM_EN.pdf 448.15 kB · 1 download

You might be interested in Hands-Free Headsets. See attached. 

This will help securing the radio somewhere while still be able to communicate. 

thanks @Javier M its very practical solution. i think VOX function very useful. but im not sure motorolla MT777 has this function. have to dig in user manual. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, desertdude said:

First of all I disagree it's a basic requirement, anyway that's a whole other story

Why not just follow the rules of aviation

Aviate, navigate and communicate.

Communication being the last priority.

So modify it to your own situation. 

Driving the car and being safe takes first priority.

If you are doing a climb or tackling a sidey and you get a radio call. What ever it is. It isn't that important that you have to respond immediately even if that means putting yourself in danger and even risking harm to yourself and others.

Concentrate on the task ahead, finish it and only when it's safe to do so. Respond to the radio.

I know most people think when they get a telephone call ( Or in this case radio call )it has to be answered immediately. Regardless of what situation you are in whether you are sleeping or trying to navigate a tricky roundabout in heavy traffic as if God himself is calling and you cannot risk his wrath

thanks for the advice @desertdude 

Agree communication should be be least priority. thought of getting some advice on radio situation.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

What @Javier M suggested seems to be a perfect fit for you if Radio call and securing safely is a concern for you.

For me personally I wouldn't mind talking on radio every 15 minutes for few seconds than sticking earpiece for hours.

What desertdude mention, is totally spot on, that radio communication is only important when you need it, otherwise learn to focus on what you are doing: hill climb, sidey or just cruising on sand than getting into temptation of replying immediately. We all are off-roaders here and fully understand that your safety is prime than replying back or acknowledge any message for next few seconds.

Almost all radios have the belt clip, that you can put on your seatbelt at any comfortable level where you can hear the incoming message. For responding you can remove it and put it back after the conversation to avoid the canon ball fear.

I see lot of people place radio in between their legs, clip it on something more stable like door handle or support handle etc. so you can try all options until you get comfortable with.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

43 minutes ago, desertdude said:

First of all I disagree it's a basic requirement, anyway that's a whole other story.

Yes it may not be a basic "REQUIREMENT" for safari, race drivers, astronauts or pilots, but its the first and foremost requirement at carnity Off-road Club for various reasons:

• To have regular communication and not to leave newbie in a black hole of uneventualities.
  • Newbies can respond back when they have any type of trouble:
    • Refusal
    • Stuck
    • Overheating
    • Warning sign
    • Health issue
    • Strange noises etc.
  • Over 90% of newbie stucks get recovered with radio communication.
  • Over 90% of lost track get back in line with radio communication.
  • Lead relays the critical messages when some tricky bush, bowl, fence is in front to avoid.
  • I can go thousand more whole day.
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Rizwanm2 said:

thanks @Javier M its very practical solution. i think VOX function very useful. but im not sure motorolla MT777 has this function. have to dig in user manual. 

I have tried the VOX function on 3 different radios, ranging from 60 to 220 dhs, and played with the sensitivity settings, but could not achieve reliable results. It only starts broadcasting when you start speaking, so half of your sentences will be lost. It works however quite good in office environment where you have less background noise.

I have also tried the earpiece but again the sound quality is not super, and you need to push the button on the wire anyways to broadcast. 

For now i have attached a lanyard to my radio, and it hangs around my neck so it's easily accessible when needed. 

• Like (+1) 5

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Just a thought. If it is a requirement here why not apply to TRA a license and get a dedicated frequency.

Because technically it is still illegal here to use walkie talkies specially frequency programmable ones.

• Like (+1) 1