•  
Advertise here

Hands free walkie talkie

Rizwanm2

Thanks @Gaurav & @Frederic

When i enter to the desert as newbie, my radio was the teacher of desert drive lessons. the information we get through the radio teach us lot of lessons. i learned a lot by listening to the radio and watching the action of driver at receiving end more than my self driving.  

most of the time im at the receiving end. hence i'll try to find a solution to secure the device properly and attach the hands free cable as PTT when needed. 

But i think totally hands free solution will be useful for marshal's or whoever is leading the drive, since they talk most of the time over the radio. 

• Like (+1) 2

@Rizwanm2 thanks for your concern, however we've got used to it over the past decade and mange it well. You're the first person who I've seen coming up with this safety advise and it's food for thought. Will discuss this further and see how many members feel the same way and take this forward.

• Like (+1) 3

Desertdude made a good point. 

I am very biased because of experience.

But lets be open minded.

So you want to talk, you have to push a button, or it is activated by voice.

I can already tell you; you don’t want to use the function that you will transmit as soon the mic sense audio. A lot of distortion on the frequency. This is maybe interesting for an open mic environment, 2 people on one frequency, but not in a group. 

Can you imagine, “please can you repeat that?”, “oh sorry, I was just taking a sip of my coffee”

So we still have to use one hand to transmit. 
I am sure it is possible to fabricate a button on your steering wheel to transmit, but I am also sure that this will be expensive.

We are not rally drivers who need a hot mic with our navigator.

Another thing, the quality of sound, transmission, language, accents, I don’t want to imagine how terrible it has to be to receive this direct in my ear the whole drive for 4 hours.

The reason why they wear headsets in Rally, because it is very noisy, you would not hear the guy next to you.

Same Counts for planes, for example Gliders, they don’t wear a headset, because you have no engine that is rumbling.

First thing I do during work, when the conditions permit, is hang that bloody headset behind me and put the speaker on. Can’t imagine to hear all the guys/ girls talking continuously direct in my ear.

But this is my point of view!

Lets keep this discussion open regarding equipment/ solutions if we want a hands free radio in a group environment.

Desert dude said it already, ANC, aviate, navigate, communicate. It is a strong model that is used as foundation for pilots.

We can use this model also with our drives.

- First drive, have your car under control 

- Navigate, where do you want to go? Or do you want to go anywhere from here? 

- communicate, talk or answer a radio call

The benefit of using such model is, that it gives you thinking capacity, we believe we can multitask, but we don’t.

(greetings from Lagos, unfortunately not able to join tomorrow’s drive)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

1 hour ago, Xaf said:

We can use this model also with our drives.

- First drive, have your car under control 

- Navigate, where do you want to go? Or do you want to go anywhere from here? 

- communicate, talk or answer a radio call

Isn't that we all are using this naturally.....? Haven't seen anyone communicating on radio while doing sidey.....!

1 hour ago, Xaf said:

we believe we can multitask, but we don’t.

Golden words, wish I can show this to those %$%#@$%$%^%^^$$^%&^&

• Like (+1) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Isn't that we all are using this naturally.....? Haven't seen anyone communicating on radio while doing sidey.....!

Golden words, wish I can show this to those %$%#@$%$%^%^^$$^%&^&

It all depends on the background, experience, character.

What seems obvious for us, may not for somebody else. I think it might be addressed in a briefing for totally newbies. But keep it briefly 🙏🏻🤣.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

5 hours ago, Gaurav said:

But you have seen people talking on the phone while driving. Most probably when you see a car cut 6 lanes 0.5 meters from the exit at 160 kph is because of such. 

I never surprises me how uncommon is common sense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I noticed carnity loves the little hand held walkie talkie style 2 way radios. Genuine question, why don’t you use proper CB style radios with external mag mounted aerials? A proper setup isn’t much more expensive than a handheld and you have the advantage of adding a burner and running higher wattage TX. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

2 minutes ago, Barry said:

I noticed carnity loves the little hand held walkie talkie style 2 way radios. Genuine question, why don’t you use proper CB style radios with external mag mounted aerials? A proper setup isn’t much more expensive than a handheld and you have the advantage of adding a burner and running higher wattage TX. 

• Expensive (5-10 times)
  • Installation overhead and space
  • Higher wattage is not always advisable, as it will pick lot of chatter / interference
  • Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Barry said:

There are tons of restrictions which I won’t go into detail about, but the CB style radios are definitely illegal and if police catches you with this huge aerial and radio inside, you’ll be coughing quite some dirhams.

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Actually, prices of the CB radios are not that expensive and antenas are not that big and can easily pass as the radio antenna. 

The advantage is that you don't have to remember to charge your radio, range and sound quality is way better than certain cheap crappy hand held. Disadvantage is that you have to be near your car to talk over the radio. 

Source? Certain Mexican's Jeep..

Edited by Javier M
  • Like (+1) 6