•  
Advertise here

P0440 and P1481 Error

Hello everyone,

I bought and Japan spec 2003 Trailblazer with 4,2 V6 engine recently. Yesterday check engine light turned on. In Autopro they checked with computer and diagnosed with P0440 and P1481 codes. Is it something to worry about or expensive to fix? I checked on the web, it seems these codes are common for these models but still don't know if it is expensive or not. Can anyone guide me? 

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-20 at 12.49.53.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-20 at 12.49.54.jpeg

Edited by Denizzalbayrak
  • Like (+1) 1

P0440 is quiet common for fuel cap issue. Make sure fuel cap is tight before you start the engine and switch off car before refuelling.

P1481 - Isn't common but need further investigation that why clucth fan is not getting the feed, might be some sensor or wiring issue. Get it check and sorted before summer, as occasionally in my wife Trail blazer on hot summer clutch fan do engage.

To self check if clutch fan is still working on variable speed: when you start the vehicle after a long break (cold start) does clutch fan engage fully and make loud gushing noise, that get settle after 15-30 seconds when RPM drops? If not, then for sure clucth need some immediate attention.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

EVAP fault will be easy to find with a smoke machine but as @Gaurav says, check the fuel cap first. Check the rubber vacuum pipes connected to the EVAP canister, follow them and see where they go and look for breaks. Sometimes the ends of the pipes crack and its as simple as cutting a couple of centimeters off the end and pushing them back on again.

For the fan clutch, all you can really do without a power probe is check it its plugged in and look for breaks in the wire. If you're feeling adventurous, you can get a bit of wire and jump it directly from the battery to see if it kicks in.

• Like (+1) 3

On 2/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, Gaurav said:

To self check if clutch fan is still working on variable speed: when you start the vehicle after a long break (cold start) does clutch fan engage fully and make loud gushing noise, that get settle after 15-30 seconds when RPM drops? If not, then for sure clucth need some immediate attention.

Yes the fan works on variable speed (High speed on cold start then slows down ). In that case I believe the issue is with the sensor. 

On 2/20/2020 at 2:40 PM, Barry said:

EVAP fault will be easy to find with a smoke machine but as @Gaurav says, check the fuel cap first.

I've checked this and fuel cap does not lock itself.

Thank you @Gaurav and @Barry for your advices.