•  

Skid Plate - is it worth the price?

Zed

4 hours ago, Srikumar said:

I feel 10 mm is an overkill. @Emmanuel and @Asif Hussain what have you guys put? 

Mine is 8 mm, which is enough IMO. Of course it should come with a bracket to protect the radiator. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 6/17/2020 at 10:00 AM, Srikumar said:

I feel 10 mm is an overkill. @Emmanuel and @Asif Hussain what have you guys put? 

As @Emmanuel mentioned 8mm thick is more than enough with proper radiator bracket. If you find 10mm thick go for it, this is where we always hit hard in our sport.

• Like (+1) 5

• 10 months later...

Hi guys - so i drive a SWB pajero and lately got front plates installed. I have the below questions:

1) is it recommended to have a rear skid plates installed? How does a rear skid plate help while off roading?

2) will i feel a noise (as if something is vibrating) if rear skid plates are installed while driving in low speed (1st or 2nd gear)?

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Adhir Saxena said:

Hi guys - so i drive a SWB pajero and lately got front plates installed. I have the below questions:

1) is it recommended to have a rear skid plates installed? How does a rear skid plate help while off roading?

2) will i feel a noise (as if something is vibrating) if rear skid plates are installed while driving in low speed (1st or 2nd gear)?

The rear bumper of the Pajero acts as a sand scoop, and from Fewbie level onwards you might be damaging the rear bumper. Mostly the long wheel Pajeros have this issue but eventually also the SWB will get the rear bumper damaged. @Wrangeld will be able to give his two cents on this topic for sure. 

About the noise, this should be not an issue at all. These plates are quite thick and will not cause any noise or vibration.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

On 6/17/2020 at 10:07 AM, Chaitanya D said:

Definitely I will tell you as I am not sure if we are supposed to discuss garage names here.

@Srikumar I was under the impression that anything 6 mm or more was better and hence got then fixed as I felt they were pretty solid to take the brunt as the radiator was very low in xterra.

Awaiting opinions from other xterra owners here , which will help others who are planning to put a skid plate on their xterra. 

On 6/17/2020 at 10:00 AM, Srikumar said:

i would not say 10mm is an overkill for xterra.  i installed 10mm skid plate with radiator bracket and after about 8 months offroading skid plate and bracket was slightly bent.  its better to inspect skid plate every service interval. 

just an adive if anyone is installing skid plate for xterra, please make sure there is enough space between radiator and radiator bracket. so incase of any penetration radiator is not effected. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 9 months later...

Hello Guys,

I have a 2009 infiniti qx56 and planning to move to fewbie drives soon.

My front bumper took a beating during my newbie drives and my rear bumper (step) keeps getting bent on every drive. fixed it twice and then just left it like that after it bent the third time.

Removed the rear bumper step so clearance increased from 9 inches to 11.5 inches so the rear angle is good. 

For the front, I bought another bumper (200 aed for bumper in sajja and 200 aed to repair and paint) and saved it for resale

and got my existing front bumper cut (cost 200 aed). pl refer to image.

My question is, after I got my front bumper cut, I realized the the under part of the bumper is quite long and was protecting the underside until the engine bay. Right now, it looks quite bare from the bottom. There is a radiator protector and a skid plate for the engine bay in stock condition. Would i still need a bash plate to protect from the front bumper till the engine bay?

If yes, what size should I go for. I shall attach a pic when i go the car wash and lift the car up.

BEFORE:

image.png.a7b920720d3914947438ce9f0b48bf77.png

AFTER:
image.png.756a73dfa5fd88907b7a500410e9c27d.pngimage.png.311648ef30f819dbf43baecddf80b086.png

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use