•  

Skid Plate - is it worth the price?

Zed

Hi all, so wifey discovered the photo below after the recent Solar Park trip where I should have braked properly 😅 (*lesson learned!) 

And now I'm looking into modifications (I hope I won't be addicted to offroad mods after this)... but do you guys invest in Skid Plates? I got a quote for Nissan Patrol Y62, front skid plate AED1850 (not including VAT) and rear skid plate AED1300 (not including VAT).

If it's really worth the price... should you do just the Front skid (and only invest in rear skid after a situation like this happens to the back of car) or might as well do both front+back skids in one-go?

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-07 at 3.53.02 PM.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4

Skid plate worth the investment if you don't have a metal cover for the bottom of your front bumber, it will help securing your car bottom from any hit

Also if the front bumber is big will be better to make it a bit smaller 

• Like (+1) 4

Thanks for sharing the experiences and details. I wanted to ask if I change the bumper of my nissan patrol (y62) to a off road bumper ( made of fiber,not metal) does it 

1. Void the insurance and warranty 

2. Will there be any problem in re - registration every year.

Please reply so that I and all new drivers are aware before doing any modifications. 

Please share any other information which will be helpful. 

Thanks in advance 

• Like (+1) 3

On 2/22/2020 at 6:04 PM, Chaitanya D said:

Thanks for sharing the experiences and details. I wanted to ask if I change the bumper of my nissan patrol (y62) to a off road bumper ( made of fiber,not metal) does it 

Please reply so that I and all new drivers are aware before doing any modifications. 

Please share any other information which will be helpful. 

Thanks in advance 

My Question is Who makes fiber off road bumpers? 

• Like (+1) 2

@desertdudeBy saying fiber I meant something not metal, because RTA doesn't allow re registration with metal front bumpers.

These are available in accessory shops all over , probably cheaper and more customizable in Sharjah

After checking with testing center they advised for passing ( while re-registration)

1. Front bumpers should not be metal ones ( like the ones used on patrols in Australia)

2. Should cover the front profile of  tyres 

As the rules keep changing , probably better to check before any modifications 

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 2

Nope, but still better to check with your insurance IMO.

Nope, for warranty too, but still better to check with dealers.

Why Im saying this is with ever changing tight economies your insurance and car dealer might start rejecting hefty claims based on wrong air freshner used.....!

If it's metal bumper then it need two rubber bump stops in front and RTA is absolutely fine with that mod.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

9 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

@desertdudeBy saying fiber I meant something not metal, because RTA doesn't allow re registration with metal front bumpers.

These are available in accessory shops all over , probably cheaper and more customizable in Sharjah

After checking with testing center they advised for passing while re registration (attached pic)

1. Front bumpers should not be metal ones ( like the ones used on patrols in Australia)

2. Should cover the front profile of  tyres 

As the rules keep changing , probably better to check before any modifications 

This one below is fineIMG-20200225-WA0000.jpg

8 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Nope, but still better to check with your insurance IMO.

Nope, for warranty too, but still better to check with dealers.

Why Im saying this is with ever changing tight economies your insurance and car dealer might start rejecting hefty claims based on wrong air freshner used.....!

If it's metal bumper then it need two rubber bump stops in front and RTA is absolutely fine with that mod.

@Gaurav thanks for your feedback. After checking in detail yesterday the testing center strictly advised against metal bumpers ( attached pic). I am discussing here about front bumper alteration for Nissan Patrol 

IMG-20200225-WA0001.jpg

Edited by Chaitanya D
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Chaitanya D said:

There is always LOT OF MISINFORMATION you get when you ask something from someone who doesn't want to answer you IN FULL.

Maybe purposely or to spread rumors.

• No offroad lights are allowed 
    • Allowed if they are covered while doing the passing test, even with masking tape @Shamil
  • No metal bumpers are allowed
    • Allowed if they have two rubber bump stock in front
  • No loud exhaust are allowed
    • Allowed upto 80 decibel sound, that is reasonably enough for 90% stock cars.
  • No lifting is allowed
    • Allowed if its not more than 5-6 inches. More than than it need additional paper.
  • No welding is allowed
    • Allowed if its not on critical load bearing areas.
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Yes ...frankly there is no clear information.  That's why I checked with RTA call center who advised me to check with inspectors directly at testing centers. The one at CARS testing center Diera advised me regarding the bumpers I described above, after showing him the pictures with the modifications and the material used.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

@Gaurav thanks for your feedback. After checking in detail yesterday the testing center strictly advised against metal bumpers ( attached pic). I am discussing here about front bumper alteration for Nissan Patrol 

Go to that same guy again - strictly - and ask if metal bumper with 2 rubber bump stops are allowed...?

After hearing his answer, you will understand my real feeling behind the above post ;-)

In your Y62 case, off course I fully agree trimming is better for initial newbie-fewbie level drives.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use