•  
Advertise here

Advice on buying older model Super Safari

Hi, have just been to view a 1999 Super Safari. 4.5L, auto. The car seems to have been very well maintained and there were no obvious issues, exhaust smoke or rattly engine. The engine was smooth, transmission seemed v smooth, 4x4 engaging was slick. The km is hi, 355,000. Assuming the car has been well looked after should milage be a huge concern. From experience, Pajero go bad around 250k as did my Trooper. Is the Super Safari engine good to run forever, or have owners found there is a magic number where problems become too frequent. Thanking in advance, Any/all advice hugely appreciated. The seller doesn't mind if I take a mechanic to check the engine before buying, which seems like a good sign. 

Edited by andy_macdxb
  • Like (+1) 3

• Are you buying this for off-road use?
  • Is this 355K is on same engine or it has been changed?
  • Is this stock engine rebuild or overhauled in the past?
  • Is this Patrol has been driven in sand regularly? (90% chances are YES)
  • Automatic or Manual?
  • How many owners since new? Owner nationality and profession?
  • Post some interior and exterior clear pictures to get more precise advise.

The bottom line is you should avoid buying vehicle that has been "heavily used and abused" in off-road especially Nissan Patrol in her 20 years of owners history. If its road car, then you need a thorough check to make sure that.

Also Nissan patrol are very commonly used with LS engines to thrash their usable life, once done they switch to stock engine and resell it. So if you see fancy color wires hanging in engine bay with unusal switches/knob/boxes then be sure its reincarnated version.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I would avoid the 4.5 and you'll know why I said that once you test drive a 4.8 VTC engined patrol. It's like night and day. The 4.8 is like a Thoroughbred while the 4.5 is like a lathargic mule.

Other than that if the price is right car is well maintained you know the owner blah blah 355k is high but doesn't mean it's about to croak. You can easily stretch them to 6-700k if you look after them well.

But only if the price is right. I wouldn't pay a dime over 20 for it in pristine condition, preferably 15.

Walk away if it was some shababs joyride who like to hit the limiter just to buzz the neighborhood and drive on two wheels over the weekend or was a weekly contestant at the pissing contest held at big red, fayha etc etc.

Ideal case a buddy one expat owner from new who spent huge amount of $$$$$$ on the car regularly so on and so forth.

• Like (+1) 4