•  

Walkie Talkie Essentials and Questions Topic

Frederic

14 minutes ago, Alphin Aloor said:

Sorry if it already exists - are there some forum discussions on CB radios somewhere? Looking to get one for my setup.

Not here on the forum, as CB is not really used in UAE. @Simon Dcorrect me if am wrong.

Ham radio enthusiasts here are usually broadcasting in the VHF 145Mhz freq range.

Anything that is not in the PMR446 frequency range, will require you getting a permit. Simon has obtained this and can provide more info on CB vs VHF vs UHF.

UAE National Frequency Plan new 2020 En pdf.pdf

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

5 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Not here on the forum, as CB is not really used in UAE. @Simon Dcorrect me if am wrong.

Ham radio enthusiasts here are usually broadcasting in the VHF 145Mhz freq range.

Anything that is not in the PMR446 frequency range, will require you getting a permit. Simon has obtained this and can provide more info on CB vs VHF vs UHF.

UAE National Frequency Plan new 2020 En pdf.pdf 5.05 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks @Frederic- i thought CB meant onboard.

I'm looking for an onboard UHF radio.

6 minutes ago, Alphin Aloor said:

Thanks @Frederic- i thought CB meant onboard.

I'm looking for an onboard UHF radio.

Ah yes, onboard you will have UHF an VHF models you can purchase. Be careful to remove it during crossing into Oman as they are in fact illegal. Even within UAE you would in theory need a permit as you are broadcasting at a higher wattage.

Simon has an onboard model and once you have the permit you should be good to go.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

In general there is a bit of a confusion when it comes the the general naming  CB radio ( citizen Band Radio ) it is part of armature radio HAM radio. while the CB Radio is 11M band ( around the 27Mhz) technically this band  is an HF Frequency. 

the Confusion that all the all onboard ( mobile ) radios are CB radio's goes back to the time when most of the cardo trucks in Europe used to have CB radio installed in their trucks to communicate together some still use it but as per my knowledge they have mostly migrated to VHF frequency due to better sound quality and less interference by the weather . 

Personally i have a radio in 2 of my cars one support VHF and UHF and the other support HF ,VHF and UHF ( You have to be licensed to be able to transmit more than 5 to 10 Watts )  

the main difference and the usage of each frequency band:

1. HF can travel long distances across the globe if used at the right time ,right equipment's and location   (it is called also sky waves as they propagate by the Ionosphere) . 

the disadvantage of HF is the poor sound quality and mostly there is a lot of noise accompanied by the transmission ( squelch function doesn't work ) 

2.  VHF better sound quality and can be used to transmit and receive over a couple of hundreds of KMs . for example with the unit i have in my car( without using a repeater)  i can easily reach to Abu Dhabi Fujairah and sometime al ain , if the weather conditions are good i could also reach to KSA and Oman.  works very good in open areas like the desert. 

Disadvantage of using VHF is its prone to direct interference from other electronics and equipment's for example light bars, fans connected to the same power source . Also,  external interference from some generators or high voltage devices that might be around you .

Also does not really works well in and between the buildings 

3. UHF has the best sound quality with the least interference ( 446.XXX frequency range , Carnity Frequencies falls in this category  ). it woks well within the buildings and in city compacted areas. 

Disadvantage of UHF is the short range of transmission usually a couple of buildings range and in open space it could reach between 4 to 30 KM ( if you got the right conditions)

if you would consider installing a mobile radio in your car it is highly recommended to get licensed . 

Travelling with a Radio ( even the hand held ) to Oman is strictly prohibited even the 2 Watts and it could get you in real trouble ,  even if you have a license for your radio there is quite a lot of paper work to be done and not always you will get the approval . 

Saudi Arabia its a bit easier but also you will need to get the correct paper work done before you travel ( and you are not allowed to use it within  the city range  

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/16/2024 at 7:41 PM, Sreenath G said:

Hi @Simon D, great info. Permit to aplly for off roading or anything else.. I appreciate the details, how to optain online. 

The Armature Radio permit can be used for any non commercial activities ( hiking, boating , Off-roading, research, Radio communication testing and exploring ) you can apply for a permit over Emirates Amateur Radio Society https://ears.ae/en/ 

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - there seems to be a USB-C charging battery for the UV-5R. Has anyone been able to find it here in the UAE? Seems like a pretty useful upgrade

https://baofengtech.com/product/bl-5/

image.png.2ed20a77dee98a5b483ccdf62a743f4c.pngimage.png.53010446c507ad5de653e627ae8f3f77.pngimage.png.947b65bc3b33f925327d1942028deadb.png

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use