•  
Advertise here

3x LR4 coolant low

Dear community

my LR4 had 3 times the dashboard message “low coolant level” and in the first 2 occasions Land Rover has to replace one of the 20+ pieces of the related system because there was a leak. Last time was 10 days ago and they said that there was no leak and did a top up of the coolant to a very high level. 
I checked for leaks but couldn’t find one but the coolant level went down a little by 3-4 mm in the last 8 days with measurements taken early morning before starting the car

the car warranty expires in 2 days and they are desperate for me to buy an extension and that makes me suspicious of their behaviour because I was told that coolant shouldn’t go down

what should I do? Take it back to Land Rover? 

3 to 4mm. Seriously! Coolant expands and contracts more than that. I think you need to stop being so OCD about it. 

And an extended warranty is always a good thing

3 to 4 mm level drop taken on cold on both days is a notable drop, but if it was only on first day (one time) then ignore it. If its dropping 3-4 mm everyday while reading taken on cold start, yes it's a concern.

Extended Warranty is good if its same as original warranty, as in many cases car dealers here remove expensive items from extended warranties like electronic suspension, gear box, engine etc. Read it through properly before buying it.

Also if EAS changed recently under warranty then for next 2 years it wont fail, so no need for extended warranty IMHO. Also do the cost benefit of price of warranty vs EAS replacement cost as LR engines and gearbox are usually good until 200-300k kms if maintained properly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.