•  

Morning Newbie Drive - Solar Park Dubai - March 13th 2020

Frederic

On 3/14/2020 at 2:44 PM, Wrangeld said:

Ropes and Rewards

Perhaps this was not the biggest ever gathering for a Carnity drive, but it must be quite close. Just over 50 people arrived on time and eager to get to the sand. And for those that thought, it's OK to arrive late, the cat and mouse game of moving from the meeting location to staging post to deflation point was an additonal fun element. 

As was proven once again, the briefing is important - because without the basic understanding of what we are all trying to do we end up with more 'learning experiences' than perhaps we want and not as much cruising the dunes: which is, after all, why we are up at the crack of dawn. It's perhaps worth mentioning that there is a briefing for Fewbie and Intermediate drives (and probably advanced and expert as well). They are no less an essential part of getting out into the sand. Not only do you have a responsibility for yourself, but to pay attetnion so that you are not a risk to other people. 

Big call out here to @Frederic for taking time with the seniors @Gaurav @Rahimdad @Srikumar to make the briefing, briefer. I think we all apprecaited that a lot. 

@Jeepie and myself were given Sweep duties in @Srikumar's convoy. @J J was asked to take second lead. As the passenger seat was taken in 'TJ', @Srikumar allowed me to play Centre Forward in the convoy from the passenger seat. Readers - let me tell you, you should try this some time. You will learn a massive amount. Sitting as a passenger you get to see a whole lot more of what's going on because you are not concentrating on driving as well, and it let's you see how other drivers are developing so you can choose if that particular style is going to help you. So a big thanks to @Anvar Sadath Bekal and @Shiju Manuel who let me ride shotgun with them. 

Being allowed to ride with them was a previlege, not becuase there was any 'instruction' going on, but because it reminds us of just how challenging it is to get this sort of driving right when you don't yet have the experience or confidence. Is the car powerful enough? Which gear choice do I make? Am I comfortable following the line that the person before me took? 

You cannot remember what that's like until you are sitting next to someone making those choices and being reminded how much the experience of experience really brings to the table. 

A drive with @Srikumar is always a pleaure. This was no exception. Where ever you looked in the convoy and it was great to watch how drivers develop. @Jamy B. is supremely comfortable with her Xterra and the tearaway @Amoru (not so Newbie newbie) demonstrated quite ably that he had already spent a few years in the desert. 

More newbie, newbies like @Muffy Acidwala and @MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ have not spent so long there. 

And that's where the ropes come in. As you progess in Carnity, and are promoted, there is a requirement to invest in more equipment. For more senior members, recoveries are an important part of the learning process: so it's with big thanks to all that got stuck and needed @Jeepie to pull you off or out that the us newly minted intermediates got the chance to try our our new kinetic rope!!

As has already been mentioned by a few - she did an incredible job pulling three stucks back into the convoy while sweeping majestically the backmarkers into line. 

Our reward for investing and having been promoted. 

Except for a few hairy moments and one or two more easily sorted stucks were resolved, the drive was completed with everyone back safely at the Adnoc. Apologies that in these days of Covid 19 the customary post drive debrief did not take place. Apologies also for any confusion around where to reinflate. All of us who have compressors decided to reinflate away from the gas station to let the people who needed the airline their place in the line. 

May apologies to anyone not mentioned. With so many newbies around and what as in the end a quite busy drive, your expertise and easy navigation round the dunes may have been missed. 

See you soon in the sand. 

Thanks @Wrangeld for your nice words.. we enjoyed the drive and definitely will meet soon.

Regards

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

My first drone video. Not the best but its my first try at it, helped by my daughter to put it together.

Well done !! Love it !

• Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Important Information

Terms of use