•  

Afternoon Newbie Desert Drive - Maliha (Sharjah) - 14 Mar 2020

Gaurav

14 hours ago, Chaitanya D said:

Saturday drive in Meliha was fantastic except for my tragedic sidee :-(

Thanks @Gaurav, @Shamil @Xaf and @Ale Vallecchi for guiding the convoy. 

@Chaitanya D what happened during your sidey, what was so tragic?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Confused (0) 1

Great drive again!  Thanks @Gaurav for coming to my rescue while I was (voluntary!!) enjoying the view from the top of the dune. Weather was great and it was good to see so many on Fossil Rock. Hope the 4Runner is ok?
PS: can anybody help me with a link to load pics in the gallery? I keep getting error 200?

• Like (+1) 6

Thank you @Gaurav for a very fun and exciting drive! This time I noticed the importance of having a variety of tools available 🛠 

@Shamil has earned the promotion, running to the rescue of us newbies, offering guidance and definitely taking action when needed.

@Ale Vallecchi and @Xaf were also quick to respond and offer their expertise. Thank you for staying behind, allowing the rest of us to cross to the other side without delay!

@Kalahari sorry for overtaking while climbing to the top! You can always show that there are no hard feelings by sharing the video you took of my car 😏. By the way, for some reason I also got error message while uploading pictures if I leave the page when they’re still uploading. I found that if I stay on the page it uploads fine.

Again, met great people and a promising team of Newbie drivers!

see you all next week!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rahimdad said:

@Chaitanya D what happened during your sidey, what was so tragic?

@Rahimdad I was doing a beginner sidee on the lower part of slope and rode over a bump ...I am not sure if I can say this was a mistake?

I had taken precautions for front bumper but unfortunately the back bumper came out from right side with some external plastic broken from the back.

Thanks to @sheri, @Michael sammy , @Shamil for helping me to kind of fix it (or rather remove it hahaha) so that I completed the full ride...I was amazed at the equipments they were carrying including a battery operated drill .

Meanwhile I had a nice welcome ceremony  at home when my little one accompanying me spilled the beans to my better half who became a fiery half instantly. 

See you and everyone soon , I hope i will get this bumper issue fixed by that time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Sad (0) 1

@Chaitanya D a small gift for the desert gods, thank God you were doing it from the lower side to give you a feel. indeed our team is well prepared and if you are bitten by the desert sand you will be amazing someone in future with all the equipment you will be carrying to help out the Newbies.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

While I am writing this I am on standby for Alexander - 4Runner, I promised him if he needs help that I'll back him up.

Normally I avoid to write failures in public, because it can put somebody in embarrassment. The reason why I decided to do it, is because this can happen to everybody.

Unfortunately the 4-Runner got a transmission problem during the climb on the hill. It was not possible to engage any gear anymore.

We decided that I would stay behind with Ale and Alexander. Gaurav and Shamil would lead the group out of the desert and in the meanwhile I would try to pull the 4-Runner at least on a flat track and as close as possible to the road.The Idea was to get the car at least on a flat surface, so we could start pulling the 4 Runner from the nose.

When we started pulling the car from the nose, Ale was guiding me through the least difficult track. As you can remember, it was not easy to enter, neither it was to get out.
4 high was not sufficient, neither 4 low, I had to engage the rear diff-lock as well, otherwise I was just digging myself in.

We came to a point were I was not convinced I could make it without pulling the 4-runner in more problems. 
Ale and I made the decision to wait for Gaurav who has much more experience than us 2 together and let him explore the area to wait for his opinion.

Gaurav came back with an option to get out, but before we decided to do it, we discussed the risks. We think Alexander made a good call not to do it and first let a mechanic look at it and if the mechanic can't fix it to ask a recovery company.

Unfortunately the mechanic couldn't fix the 4-runner so they asked a recovery company to get the car out of the desert. In the meanwhile Alexander texted me that the car is out of the desert and shared pictures of the recovery. The car was recovered with a Rangerover only. I feel a bit embarrassed that we couldn't mange it yesterday, but as I said, it was the risk involved why we decided not to do it yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 5

1 minute ago, Xaf said:

While I am writing this I am on standby for Alexander - 4Runner, I promised him if he needs help that I'll back him up.

Normally I avoid to write failures in public, because it can put somebody in embarrassment. The reason why I decided to do it, is because this can happen to everybody.

Unfortunately the 4-Runner got a transmission problem during the climb on the hill. It was not possible to engage any gear anymore.

We decided that I would stay behind with Ale and Alexander. Gaurav and Shamil would lead the group out of the desert and in the meanwhile I would try to pull the 4-Runner at least on a flat track and as close as possible to the road.The Idea was to get the car at least on a flat surface, so we could start pulling the 4 Runner from the nose.

When we started pulling the car from the nose, Ale was guiding me through the least difficult track. As you can remember, it was not easy to enter, neither it was to get out.
4 high was not sufficient, neither 4 low, I had to engage the rear diff-lock as well, otherwise I was just digging myself in.

We came to a point were I was not convinced I could make it without pulling the 4-runner in more problems. 
Ale and I made the decision to wait for Gaurav who has much more experience than us 2 together and let him explore the area to wait for his opinion.

Gaurav came back with an option to get out, but before we decided to do it, we discussed the risks. We think Alexander made a good call not to do it and first let a mechanic look at it and if the mechanic can't fix it to ask a recovery company.

Unfortunately the mechanic couldn't fix the 4-runner so they asked a recovery company to get the car out of the desert. In the meanwhile Alexander texted me that the car is out of the desert and shared pictures of the recovery. The car was recovered with a Rangerover only. I feel a bit embarrassed that we couldn't mange it yesterday, but as I said, it was the risk involved why we decided not to do it yesterday. 

Hi Xaf. Good to hear of today's safe recovery. I still think the decision Alexander took was the wisest one. It was dark, and any tricky patch we encountered could have ended up causing much more serious damage. Even when exploring with Gaurav we took a couple of wrong turns, and ran into bushy areas.

Good calls were made: 1) attempting to tow the car out as far as we could; 2) quitting while we were still ahead. 

Also, it would have been too easy, especially for your powerful machine, to do the recovery in daytime. 🤪 After all, we are starting to enjoy these extra hour or two of night time driving.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use