•  
Advertise here

Rear Bumper fix for Mitsubishi Pajero

The post 2007 year models (esp LWB) of Pajero  have a design flaw which makes their rear bumper (aluminium part) act like a sand scooper. On many of the offroad drives, I personally have recommended to the the Pajero owners to remove the rear aluminium lip which is a 10 mins job. However, it does look quite ugly once removed. Hence, I highly recommend that all Pajero owners get the following plate fixed to protect their rear bumper. Its better to make it atleast with a 4 inch plate and it can be fabricated in any workshop.

1591166639_PhotofromSrikumarMurli(3).jpg.2fce4a5c96e23869d32ba3e32ad98c8c.jpg578257073_PhotofromSrikumarMurli(2).jpg.b8a5a25322e307a38f07ad6e81f708d3.jpg

Photo from Srikumar Murli(1).jpg

Photo from Srikumar Murli(4).jpg

Photo from Srikumar Murli(6).jpg

Photo from Srikumar Murli(7).jpg

Photo from Srikumar Murli(8).jpg

Photo from Srikumar Murli.jpg

Photo from Srikumar Murli(5).jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Nice topic ! 
So far my rear lip has stayed intact, maybe this has to do with the tow bar that’s mounted underneath?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

34 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Nice topic ! 
So far my rear lip has stayed intact, maybe this has to do with the tow bar that’s mounted underneath?

If you have a tow bar that provides the support to the aluminum bumper. In such a case this fix is not needed.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/15/2020 at 12:56 PM, Srikumar said:

If you have a tow bar that provides the support to the aluminum bumper. In such a case this fix is not needed.

Yeah...... i guess i'll need to get that sorted anyways 😂

@Mels Wolf can you provide some details on your fix ?

• Like (+1) 2

UPDATE: added detailed picture of how the plate is attached to the chassis

Hi Frederic, As you can see the metal is completely curved to fit directly onto the chassis and will provide the bumper a sliding ability once the car going down a steep hill comes to the bottom

Bumper_rear.png

E70F0D59-6C0D-49E1-A24F-016382577D2C.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

With the massive tow bar in the rear I was quite confident that the rear bumper lip couldn’t come loose, but wifey came home with the pleasant message that the lip came loose anyway during her drive. She managed to put it back in place herself but I decided to put some 2mm stainless steel plates on both sides and drilled into the tow bar. Didnt cost me anything and will hopefully do the job. 

6CD72256-EBC7-4242-9CC1-8502C597E688.jpeg

8F775F80-1A5C-4219-BEC3-6CEEE6F107A2.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Hopefully but Pajeros by far has the worst rear bumper design of any 4x4 I know off. It made like a scoop which digs into the sand and then rips it's off. Makes me think the engineers totally slipped doing any serious desert testing

Only effective way is to negate the scooping action of the bumper by closing the lip and securing it to rest of the frame 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Frederic said:

With the massive tow bar in the rear I was quite confident that the rear bumper lip couldn’t come loose, but wifey came home with the pleasant message that the lip came loose anyway during her drive. She managed to put it back in place herself but I decided to put some 2mm stainless steel plates on both sides and drilled into the tow bar. Didnt cost me anything and will hopefully do the job. 

6CD72256-EBC7-4242-9CC1-8502C597E688.jpeg

8F775F80-1A5C-4219-BEC3-6CEEE6F107A2.jpeg

Looks good let’s see how it holds the next couple of drives... but on the “cost nothing” part, you always have metal plates lying around at home?

• Haha (+1) 1