•  
Advertise here

Fabricated Towing Points

Wrangeld

A sort of request/or question - not sure. 

In the last two weeks I've had the chance to use my kinetic rope quite a lot to tug members off crests or out of trouble. No problem with that at all. It's a pleasure and learning experience. Where I have a challenge is that I also had (an admittedly) small number of caces where the rear towing points had been fabricated and frankly, I was not prepared to use them. The problem was that a piece of metal plate with a hole drilled into it had been welded into the structure of the car.

Fortunately in both cases where I did not want to tow from this point, there was access and the possibility to use another tow point at the front of the car. 

What's the problem? These fabricated plates have sharp edges like knives and I am not prepared to take the risk of using them and the rope failing because the soft shackles will be sliced in half.  It's dangerous for anyone standing nearby, the drivers of the two vehicles and potentially quite expensive (for me, if not for the person being towed). 

Perhaps I am the only one who has encountered this, which is why I raise the issue and ask the quesiton:  What's the protocol here?

Carnity is not a club where everything is checked before you go out, and I am not sure we want it to be, but at the same time, I hope there is also a degree of responsibility being taken by the people coming out for a drive. When it says you need to have towing points in good condition front and back, it's not just about whether they will fly off because they are corroded with rust because they were never maintained, is it not also about making sure they are in good condition to that they can be used if needed. 

A quick fix, applied to the car so you can claim you have tow points without understanding that we are not going to apply metal shackles (for which this fabrication would probably be fine) probably needs some other additonal hook or attachment - it's something our overworked rope would appreciate. 

Any thoughts on this? Or am I just being too precious? 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Add a rated D shackle for 50 Dhs from Ace Hardware.

And there you have it. For the additional 50Dhs and a tiny bit of additional time, everyone is happy. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wrangeld said:

A sort of request/or question - not sure. 

In the last two weeks I've had the chance to use my kinetic rope quite a lot to tug members off crests or out of trouble. No problem with that at all. It's a pleasure and learning experience. Where I have a challenge is that I also had (an admittedly) small number of caces where the rear towing points had been fabricated and frankly, I was not prepared to use them. The problem was that a piece of metal plate with a hole drilled into it had been welded into the structure of the car.

Fortunately in both cases where I did not want to tow from this point, there was access and the possibility to use another tow point at the front of the car. 

What's the problem? These fabricated plates have sharp edges like knives and I am not prepared to take the risk of using them and the rope failing because the soft shackles will be sliced in half.  It's dangerous for anyone standing nearby, the drivers of the two vehicles and potentially quite expensive (for me, if not for the person being towed). 

Perhaps I am the only one who has encountered this, which is why I raise the issue and ask the quesiton:  What's the protocol here?

Carnity is not a club where everything is checked before you go out, and I am not sure we want it to be, but at the same time, I hope there is also a degree of responsibility being taken by the people coming out for a drive. When it says you need to have towing points in good condition front and back, it's not just about whether they will fly off because they are corroded with rust because they were never maintained, is it not also about making sure they are in good condition to that they can be used if needed. 

A quick fix, applied to the car so you can claim you have tow points without understanding that we are not going to apply metal shackles (for which this fabrication would probably be fine) probably needs some other additonal hook or attachment - it's something our overworked rope would appreciate. 

Any thoughts on this? Or am I just being too precious? 

What you could also do is buying a short piece of webbing sling (40-50 dhs), like from a gas station tow rope, cut off the metal shackles at the end, and use this piece of sling as a kind of sleeve protection. So you basically loop this one through the hole of the fabricated plate, and then loop your soft shackle behind. Below crappy picture explains it better:
image.png.c6d8834536edb72ee22b34b669a09668.png

So that cheap simple webbing sling just acts as a protection sleeve. If it starts to wear, just move it up a bit or throw it. It will protect  your 120dhs soft shackle.

If you are really inventive, roll up your latest penthouse magazine, and loop your soft shackle through this one. But it will destroy your precious magazine :) 

769539290_WhatsAppImage2020-03-17at17_13.05(1).jpeg.071afa60edb16a7dbba2f41bc2806951.jpeg1335807738_WhatsAppImage2020-03-17at17_13_05.jpeg.3e491c8014e114c7a1cc8fe236e49bb3.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

On 3/17/2020 at 1:58 PM, Gaurav said:

Add a rated D shackle for 50 Dhs from Ace Hardware.

And create a massive, high-speed projectile when the fabricated tow hook separates from the towed vehicle during a high-stress pull? 

Edited by treks
  • WOW (+2) 1

45 minutes ago, treks said:

And create a massive, high-speed projectile when the fabricated tow hook separates from the towed vehicle during a high-stress pull? 

You miss the word "RATED"

For such strong or repetitive tugs (more than 3, after soft medium and hard attempt), we secure the rope with support assist rope to absorb any projectile.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

3 hours ago, Gaurav said:

You miss the word "RATED"

For such strong or repetitive tugs (more than 3, after soft medium and hard attempt), we secure the rope with support assist rope to absorb any projectile.

Treks is saying the shackel along with the fabricated point. 

• Like (+1) 1