•  
Advertise here

Pajero sand driving, kill switches, bypasses and blah blah blah

Hi Guys, have jus bought 2008 (gen 3) Paj. 3.8L and in really good shape. Engine, shocks, suspension etc. Already v capable off road. 4x4 hi and lo both good and rear diff. Read somewhere that traction control (or equivalent) can inhibit off road performance. Any truth here or should just get on and enjoy the driving. Also, in market for an elevated air intake, any suggestions? As with all Carnity queries, your expertise is appreciated. Mac

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah traction control will mess with you in sand. And why do you want a snorkel. It just saps power. Even stock filter is good enough for this environment just give it a blast of compressed air after every off road excursion. 

• Totally Agree (+2) 3

7 hours ago, andy_macdxb said:

Hi Guys, have jus bought 2008 (gen 3) Paj. 3.8L and in really good shape. Engine, shocks, suspension etc. Already v capable off road. 4x4 hi and lo both good and rear diff. Read somewhere that traction control (or equivalent) can inhibit off road performance. Any truth here or should just get on and enjoy the driving. Also, in market for an elevated air intake, any suggestions? As with all Carnity queries, your expertise is appreciated. Mac

Congrats on the new ride @andy_macdxb
Our offroaders @Jas Gajaria @Dale Panganiban - Fabrication might be of help on the specific on how to deactivate the ABS and traction aids.

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

10 minutes ago, Barry said:

Pull fuse 22 under the dashboard and it will cut the ABS/TC7EA9A310-5AC2-45F5-8FAE-579FF4DD2A79.jpeg.3f16ac3f795d7a29f33cf97cf2e2d9b3.jpeg

Is this applicable for Gen 3 Pajero ?

In my Gen4 i've tried removing the TC fuses underneath the dashboard, but ABS kept kicking in. Only solution was to remove the ABS relay under the hood.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hey @andy_macdxb!, 

Welcome to the Pajero life :D

Gen 3's were only made till late 2006, if your car is a 2008 it is a Gen 4! This opens up a lot of computers you'll have to tingle around with, especially for the gearbox. Send a picture of your car so i'll be able to confirm if its a Gen 3 or 4. 

1. So you can either get a traction control kill switch installed (100-150Dhs) at your Garage, or there is an ABS/Traction Relay under the hood, I will post its exact picture in a while, just pull that out before off-roading and within 1km of driving everything should shut off. 

2. There is no ready-made aftermarket CAI (Cold Air Intake) in the market for the Pajero but what I have done is made a custom box and mounted a cone filter inside there. The Pajero's intake is already VERY high up and is amongst the best in the 4x4 world today. If you plan on crossing deep water above the bonnet, just buy and install a snorkel which can be found easily on Alibaba or Ebay Australia for reasonable costs. 

Cheers, 

Jas

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

21 minutes ago, Jas Gajaria said:

Hey @andy_macdxb!, 

Gen 3's were only made till late 2006, if your car is a 2008 it is a Gen 4! This opens up a lot of computers you'll have to tingle around with, especially for the gearbox. Send a picture of your car so i'll be able to confirm if its a Gen 3 or 4. 

1. So you can either get a traction control kill switch installed (100-150Dhs) at your Garage, or there is an ABS/Traction Relay under the hood, I will post its exact picture in a while, just pull that out before off-roading and within 1km of driving everything should shut off. 

2. There is no ready-made aftermarket CAI (Cold Air Intake) in the market for the Pajero but what I have done is made a custom box and mounted a cone filter inside there. The Pajero's intake is already VERY high up and is amongst the best in the 4x4 world today. If you plan on crossing deep water above the bonnet, just buy and install a snorkel which can be found easily on Alibaba or Ebay Australia for reasonable costs. 

Cheers, 

Jas

I am attaching the Relay to pull and My Air Box, keep in mind with these filters is it important to make sure you buy a DRY Filter (Not Oiled) and after every drive you take it off and air gun it to remove sand. 

IMG_7995.JPG

IMG_7996.JPG

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jas, thanKS for this it's really helpful. Yeah, my Paj is 2008 definitely. So I suppose that means Gen 4.the engine pics you sent are Gen 3 or Gen 4. I like the llook  of the air intake cone filter. Does that have the advantage of specifically reducing the dust intake. I guess it so, boosts performance maybe.. With regards the relay, do you remove for desert driving only or have you removed permanently? I guess it just slots back in if you need. (sorry, not so technical I guess). But thanks again, I appreciate your advice. Can you recommend a workshop for the simple offroad mods? 

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2020 at 9:40 AM, Jas Gajaria said:

Hey @andy_macdxb!, 

Cheers, 

Jas

Please suggest a reliable garage to do this Kill switch

• Like (+1) 1