•  
Advertise here

Crawl Control Vs Central Diff Lock with LSD

Chirag S.

Hi,

My previously owned FJC 2018 was equipped with Crawl control & A-TRAC. But during several drives, I did not get the chance to use it but show lots of video about is importance. Now, I owned PRADO VXR 2018 having Central Diff Lock with LSD but excluded features like Crawl Control & A-TRAC.

I tried to dig out difference of functions of "Crawl Control Vs Central Diff Lock with LSD" but could not get comprehensive clarity about utilization /advantage of Central diff lock with LSD to compare.

Pl share your views / guidance to enhance better clarity on its functions / advantages.

Thanks in advance for your support. 

Center difflock is for full time 4wds which lock the front and rear diffs together. So if the front diff is spinning the rear is too.

Crawl Control is just useless fancy pants bullshit just like hill descent control

Maintains a certain low speed 5-10kms over terrain. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, desertdude said:

Center difflock is for full time 4wds which lock the front and rear diffs together. So if the front diff is spinning the rear is too.

Crawl Control is just useless fancy pants bullshit just like hill descent control

Appreciate for your clarity. Would you Illuminate;

Whether, Central Diff lock and Central Diff lock with limited slip differential are same?

How A-Trac is different from diff lock?

1 hour ago, Chirag S. said:

Appreciate for your clarity. Would you Illuminate;

Whether, Central Diff lock and Central Diff lock with limited slip differential are same?

How A-Trac is different from diff lock?

No they are not the same. LSD has clutch plates in it and when one wheel start to spin they catch and transfer power to the other hence momentarily locking both wheels and you'll never find a center LSD diff. Only rear.

Similar concept is there for all wheel drives in the center like RAV4 and Honda *RVs but that's called a torsen diff. Working principle is the same as LSD.

A.Trac is just Toyotas fancy name for traction control.

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2020 at 5:29 PM, desertdude said:

To agree with your point, i would share below vedio link, show the LC-150 using crawl control to drive through mud and hill climb but not succeed;

H'ever, number of vedio showing use of crawl control to un-stuck car from sand!!

May be drive experience, overcome such super advance systems!!

I find chance to try FJ`s crawl control and A-Trac few times. It is actually doing what you need to do for you, when get stuck. For newbies it is good for self recovery. Few times when i said ok now we need to air down, maybe even need to pull the car, car saved it self with minimal struggle.