•  
Advertise here

Ink tank printers - review needed

Gaurav

I went to buy Canon printer cartridges today for my home inkjet printer, which I usually order online but Amazon showed 14-28 days like a Mitsubishi part importing from Japan.

I came across this new tech in a mall (might not be new for you), which I have never seen before - "Ink tank" printers, basically a new printing tech to bridge a gap between Inkjet and Laser printer. These printer looks identical to inkjet printers but no longer have a replaceable cartridges. Instead they have a fix cartridge that sips the ink from an ink tank reservoir (see-through tank) very similar to our coolant expansion bottles in cars. 

There tall claims of 12,000 B/W pages and 7,000 color pages from one set of ink bottles of 140-150 dhs made me stop and think over.

Is anyone using these ink tank printers here at home or office? How is the print quality, speed, and ink consumption? Appreciate any good or bad feedback from original users.

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-31 at 9.26.16 PM.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

9 hours ago, desertdude said:

Malls are still open!?!?!

Mirdiff City Center was open yesterday but only carrefour was operational and Magrabi eye optics next to it. Rest all shops were closed in the near by surrounding.

• Like (+1) 1

I saw this 2 years back. But the cost at the time of the printer was so high I could by 10 HP printers with ink cartridges. I do not have massive printing requirements from home so I stuck with the HP printer where I had to replace the cartridge only once. I thing although the cost seems to be half of what it was 2 years back its still expensive and with all their claims the break even can only be calculated after 3 to 5 years depending on your usage. As technology improves and becomes more affordable I would wait for the next break through or a much cheaper price tag.

Because i hardly print anything at home but had an inkjet printer that was always giving me troubles because the cartridges would dry out from sitting idle, i decided to buy a Samsung M2020 Black and White laser printer for 300dhs:

https://www.noon.com/uae-en/xpress-sl-m2020-laser-printer-white-brown/N18407072A/p

I was so happy with this little thing that i bought a second one later for my house in Belgium. Mainly to printout mails, flight tickets, concert tickets, and stuff like that while i am on vacation in Belgium.

If Black and White printing is OK, i highly recommend this one. Its super fast, print quality is laser so very good, and was really cheap. The toner lasted a very long time too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thanks @Frederic I am in the same boat that uses inkjet print out very less like once in 2-3 months but ink dries up faster and I keep getting 50-75 dhs cartridges every few months. Im currently using Canon Pixma 5200, pretty solid all-in-one but hell thirsty.

I myself was thinking of upgrading to B/W laser and checked that Samsung M2020 for 300 dhs, but delivery was also 2-4 weeks, seem something wrong with Amazon atm.

In the meantime, lulu and carrefour sales guys perfectly brainwash me for this ink tank printer and as per my yesterday research, they seem to be good to try now. Launched in 2015, first retail printer came in 2017-2018 in UAE and all companies have had 4-5 upgrades so far. So it seems it is in stable technology mode with reasonable price tag. It might reduce by 10-20% more in next few years, but I don't see a big drop, as they cleverly need to sell inkjet more than inktank. So price gap in all technology must be maintained.

• Like (+1) 2

Hi @Gaurav

I am using Epson L355 since April 2015 @Aed 500. Same technology. Amazing & very economical option for home use. Claims are correct as I only refilled the ink tank in 2019 (after 4 years).

Printer is 3 in 1 (scanner, printer & copier). You can even use photo paper for photo printing.

Other option with dual printing and paper tray (automatic) is little expensive around AED 800. Is also on promotion at Cr4’s.

10/10 

Edited by MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1