•  
Advertise here

Nativa 2008 Rattling or grinding noise from engine

update - 

After 2 months wait I could not hold it anymore, watching everyone enjoying the off road drives. long wait was due to the pandemic I was reluctant to let anyone wander in and out of my car. 😷

Anyway got it fixed last weekend and culprit was warn out pulley and alternator. Nothing major inside the engine. Changed 2 pullies and belt almost 75% noise is gone now. Still there is small grinding noise from the alternator, but as per the mechanic its not major thing to worry about. Anyway he will look for used one and I can get it fixed later. Apparently, quotation for new alternator was 3500 bucks 😬.

Along with this took care of some other maintenance stuff as well, radiator flush, Gear oil and filter changed, engine oil changed and spark plug changed. So now ready for rumble. 😀

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Your Nativa stems just like my little blue from a nineties-hassle-free-style-technical approach. They are easy to fix, and parts can be found in many places.

You might want to consider getting an alternator from the scrapyard in Sharjah. 3500 is indeed a hefty amount.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

52 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Your Nativa stems just like my little blue from a nineties-hassle-free-style-technical approach. They are easy to fix, and parts can be found in many places.

You might want to consider getting an alternator from the scrapyard in Sharjah. 3500 is indeed a hefty amount.

yes @Frederic i will look for used one and get it fixed later. 

cant wait to see you guys on friday.. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 6/14/2020 at 2:42 PM, Rizwanm2 said:

update - 

After 2 months wait I could not hold it anymore, watching everyone enjoying the off road drives. long wait was due to the pandemic I was reluctant to let anyone wander in and out of my car. 😷

Anyway got it fixed last weekend and culprit was warn out pulley and alternator. Nothing major inside the engine. Changed 2 pullies and belt almost 75% noise is gone now. Still there is small grinding noise from the alternator, but as per the mechanic its not major thing to worry about. Anyway he will look for used one and I can get it fixed later. Apparently, quotation for new alternator was 3500 bucks 😬.

Along with this took care of some other maintenance stuff as well, radiator flush, Gear oil and filter changed, engine oil changed and spark plug changed. So now ready for rumble. 😀

Just a question: did you have to replace the timing belt or did they have to put it back on after your last repair on the pulley ? I am suspecting your timing is off after seeing your car’s power yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

3 hours ago, Frederic said:

Just a question: did you have to replace the timing belt or did they have to put it back on after your last repair on the pulley ? I am suspecting your timing is off after seeing your car’s power yesterday.

hI @Frederic mechanic didn't remove the timing belt. only drive belt and pulley was removed.  also head gasket was changed due to small oil leak, new spark plugs, Engine oil and filter, gear oil an filter. 

yes as you said i was struggling for power yesterday. i used to climb pink rock in 4H without any problem. but yesterday i was not able to climb even small dune i think at least 20% of pink rocks incline. but when i switch to 4L the engine was able to rev up. then i noticed if i drive bit longer in 4L engine is overheating. i had lot of refusal yesterday due to this loss of power issue. 

Any idea what is wrong here 

also i noticed yesterday my cruise control is not working. could this also linked to any of the above issues. 

• Like (+1) 2

@Rizwanm2 that is why we recommend that 4L is for recoveries only or in some cases for steep long decline. You are not supposed to drive in 4L. I don't think Cruise Control would be effected by loss of power as that is something to do with vacuum if I'm not mistaken. Seems like you mechanic is just trying to play some roulette with you. Have you consulted with another garage to pin point the problem and solution. Just changing parts randomly is not going to help your situation.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rahimdad said:

@Rizwanm2 that is why we recommend that 4L is for recoveries only or in some cases for steep long decline. You are not supposed to drive in 4L. I don't think Cruise Control would be effected by loss of power as that is something to do with vacuum if I'm not mistaken. Seems like you mechanic is just trying to play some roulette with you. Have you consulted with another garage to pin point the problem and solution. Just changing parts randomly is not going to help your situation.

hi @Rahimdad im not sure what these mechanics were up to. if possible can you recommend any workshop in sharjah to get it fixed or for a second opinion. 

Thank you. 

• Like (+1) 2

I know a shop opposite Suzuki Service centre behind Sharjah City Centre. But used them long ago. Not sure if it still exists and forgot their name. With garages you can't trust any, you need to be very firm and stand on their head if you have to. Like @Gaurav bhai says explain your issue, make sure they understand, give you the solution and price. Here comes the best part, get it in writing from them how long this fix going to last. Anyone bullshiting you will never give it in writing.

• Like (+1) 2

Unfortunately I know nothing about Nativas hardly even see them on the road and never even driven one. 

Loss of power could be due to various issues. So start with the easy one first. 

Check fuel pressure. See if your fuel pump is excessively noisy when with just turn on the car and not start it, you should hear it for a few seconds and then shut off. If it buzzes a lot it could be on its way out. Off roads cars can get sand in their fuel tanks which can clog up the pick up screen hindering the fuel pump. Similarly the fuel filter might have choked up with sand  

Most cars have a Schrader valve on the fuel rail, exactly the same like your tyre valve, check the fuel pressure there. In a bind I've actually used my tire pressure gauge to check fuel pressure. 

Check online how much pressure should be normal for your car. I'm guessing 50 ish psi if it's low that means engine isn't getting enough fuel.

Rare chance on a working car but maybe your injectors are clogged or sticking. 

Also check for any leaks in the fuel lines 

Another easy thing to check is if you throttle body butterfly is working properly. I don't the Nativa has a fly by wire system and is mechanically connected by a cable.

So fully press the gas pedal and see if the throttle body opens up properly.

Anyways this is as far as I would like to make an educated guess with the limited info available.

Also if you car is overheating and not running hot (there is a difference) in 4L that means your cooling system is not up to spec and not cooling properly under heavy load which it should not. 

Start with the obvious again from fan clutch working your way to the radiator.

And as a general note what the hell is wrong with you people it is hot like hell and you people are mucking about in the desert in this heat. 

I was getting paid and I hated to go out to the desert in this heat and you all doing it for free. You folk are crazy! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4