•  
Advertise here

What's happening here?

Looks like they’re lifting it to change the wheel? I’ve done it plenty of times myself when worked in the scrapyard and had access to a forklift. I would never go underneath a forklift though, not even put my hands under it. I had a car up around head height on the forklift once to remove a subframe and one of the chains snapped on the forklift. Got lucky, only one broke and I got the heck out of there, the other one held the car up. A week later a friend in a neighbouring scrapyard was doing the same thing and the car fell on him. Broken legs, broken hips, broken ribs, lucky he wasn’t killed. That put an end to everyone in the area working under cars on forklifts. 

• WOW (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

I know I might preach a lot on carnity about jacking cars but I do so with reason. I know too many people who have been hurt or killed by cars falling on them.

One old guy I used to restore cars with made it to 70 years of age. He made a mistake and got squashed to death by a shitty Opel ascona. Hardly a car worth dying for. He lived a happy life. Could have spent another 20 year playing guitar and smoking ganja on his porch but he got killed because of a stupid mistake. 70! He was a really good friend. I learned a lot from him. Then one day he was gone because of a stupid mistake. 

Never work under an unsupported car. A hydraulic jack doesn’t provide the support you think it does. I can tell you horror stories which end with my head getting nearly squashed. 

Spend the extra money. If you’re buying a jack, buy a pair of axle stands. It could save your life. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2