•  
Advertise here

How our retirement will look like...

Frederic

In these challenging times, and with so much uncertainty, it's probably kind of hard to predict where you might be when you finally arrive at retirement age. However it is something that many people think of. 

What is your IDEAL DREAM scenario of retirement look like ? and where ?

- For me personally, knowing that my children will probably be expats too, i would like to retire in a region where i can have a piece of land to grow my own organic veggies, and have a bunch of animals to look after. Ideally far enough from the city, but still acceptable to make the ride for essential groceries or other things..

- WHERE is the main question. I fell in love with France many times already, and certain parts in the south of Belgium are also nice. But this might as well be Oman or anyplace else where i could find peace and a visa :) 

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Well, if you are thinking of retirement, you have to manage your expectations.

I thought that when I retired, I would spend lots of time fishing, touring the African continent, looking after a small zoo on a piece of land I own, and just doing everything everybody dreams about doing in retirement.

None of that happened though. I am busier now that I ever was while working, and I have not fished once in three years- much less toured the continent. Now, I am a full-time freelance writer, I consult with local workshops on difficult diagnostic issues at least five or six times a week, and I have to supervise the two persons I was forced to hire to look after my animals. Retirement? What retirement? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

After continuous working for whole life, retiring all of sudden to a halt is a bad idea. Someone told me this long ago, when we were forcing my dad to retire at 60. In his first year of retirement, we have realized that it wasn't the best idea.

Now my definition of retirement is to finish off my critical responsibilities responsibly and then do or rest whatever I wish to do at that age as per my future financial condition at that age.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

52 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

After continuous working for whole life, retiring all of sudden to a halt is a bad idea. Someone told me this long ago, when we were forcing my dad to retire at 60. In his first year of retirement, we have realized that it wasn't the best idea.

Now my definition of retirement is to finish off my critical responsibilities responsibly and then do or rest whatever I wish to do at that age as per my future financial condition at that age.

Fully agree. I remember my grandfather who was always busy with his pigeons, chickens, and working in and around the house. It kept hem going and young. When he later moved to a retirement home it went downwards fast. That's why i have no plan of taking lots of rest, but keeping an active lifestyle with lots of animals and work to do on the land and hopefully some old cars to restore :) 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

The dream is to swing on a hammock in my own private scrapyard with a guitar on my lap, pina colada in one hand and a big fat doobie in the other. 

In reality I’ll probably be working hard until I die. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...