•  
Advertise here

Cadillac CTS 2009 not starting

UPDATE:

So after bringing the vehicle to another technician i got the confirmation that the ECM needs to be replaced. After the initial quote of 13kAED the current quote is 6kAED, which is 3400AED for the ECM and the rest for programming, labour and some consumables (air filters, some hoses).

The CTS is a 2009 3.6 model which needs some TLC but can be brought back into decent condition. Owner is not planning on putting 6kAED into it, and the scrap value would be 800-1000AED max.

I am seriously considering putting the car in my driveway as project fixxer-upper car and getting a VIN-programmed ECM from the USA which would cost me about 300USD shipping included. The rest would be a decent clean-up / polish job and put it back on the market in a couple of months. The secondhand market is not fabulous now but let's see.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 hours ago, Frederic said:

UPDATE:

So after bringing the vehicle to another technician i got the confirmation that the ECM needs to be replaced. After the initial quote of 13kAED the current quote is 6kAED, which is 3400AED for the ECM and the rest for programming, labour and some consumables (air filters, some hoses).

The CTS is a 2009 3.6 model which needs some TLC but can be brought back into decent condition. Owner is not planning on putting 6kAED into it, and the scrap value would be 800-1000AED max.

I am seriously considering putting the car in my driveway as project fixxer-upper car and getting a VIN-programmed ECM from the USA which would cost me about 300USD shipping included. The rest would be a decent clean-up / polish job and put it back on the market in a couple of months. The secondhand market is not fabulous now but let's see.

Fred there are lots of scrap yards full of these cars, you can fins the ECM second hand also. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, sertac said:

Fred there are lots of scrap yards full of these cars, you can fins the ECM second hand also. 

Correct, but the ECM needs to be re-programmed from what i've heard, which is apparently not that easy. 

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Programming shouldn’t be too difficult but you need a J2534 pass through device. First you need to write down all the relevant data from the old ECM, VIN, anti theft data, transmission data etc. then swap the ECM and write the new data onto it. 

The other more difficult way you’ll be to find a scrap car and get the ECM, transmission module, BCM, key and switch, all locks and change it over. 

Edit - Just saw a preprogrammed ECU is only 300 dollars. That would definitely be the way forward. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Fredy, it's a nice and a daring move depending if you have space in your driveway.

Jumping to conclusion of ECM being bad, I would suggest to research first if this MY has this as a known issue or not. If not, Ill still send car to a third garage to rescan it as a total stranger.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Get the car in your driveway but don't go on the busted ECU diagnostics. Do you own investigation.

It could be as simple as corroded connections or a cut in wiring loom. Or even just a immobilizer issue.

Last ditch effort would be a ECU

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2