•  
Advertise here

Which Motorcycles Brands to avoid in UAE

Jefy

Want to treat myself with a secondhand motorcycle this summer. Hope to find a good deal this summer on Dubizzle.

Which motorcycle brands should I avoid in the UAE? I have only driven Honda's.

Not looking for something special, no investments, just a bike to take out on my days off.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s also itching to get a bike. My friend has a Ducati Monster that I hope he will sell one day so i can grab it 😅

Ducati has a great following here. I know the president of the UAE Ducati club and they do lots of trips and are like one big family helping each other out.  Have a look at Ducati owners club Dubai on FB.

There are hundreds of bikes covered throughout the year with hardly any miles on them and owners leaving the country. Have a look out and buy from an expatriate that looked after it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

6 minutes ago, Xaf said:

Little bit above the budget I had in mind, then it becomes more an investment. Will start digging in the Ducati community in UAE.

If you’re out for a cheap ride, buy a 180cc like the delivery guys are driving. Plenty around, and good for a leisure drive. I had a 200cc Cagiva in Belgium and had the most fun with it simply because it was underpowered and i could drive TOW. (Throttle Wide Open).

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

3 hours ago, Frederic said:

If you’re out for a cheap ride, buy a 180cc like the delivery guys are driving. Plenty around, and good for a leisure drive. I had a 200cc Cagiva in Belgium and had the most fun with it simply because it was underpowered and i could drive TOW. (Throttle Wide Open).

No Fred, not in Dubai :), imagine going to Jabel Jais with a 180cc :)

• Haha (+1) 3

I’ve seen a few Benellis around UAE. Best avoided due to reliability issues. 
I would also avoid anything with an extended swing arm. The kind of guys who ride those bikes aren’t the kind of guys who treat them kindly. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I agree with @desertdude, riding in the UAE is extremely dangerous. Had a friend's brother pass away a few months ago due to a fatal crash in Dubai Marina. Another crash took the life of another friend's colleague a little while ago because someone ran a red light and t-boned him. May both RIP. 

My brother who's also a rider tried to use this analogy to dissuade me from riding: a car and a motorcycle crash is like a collission between a melon and a pen: the melon will always get punctured. So please avoid motorcycles like the plague. 

But if you're still intent on riding (like me), here's my experience: 

- I owned a Harley Iron 883cc a few years ago, and loved the community; but the Harley ride is extremely rough and unenjoyable. Never rode a tractor, but I imagine that's what it feels like. 

1259234006_ScreenShot2020-05-06at00_15_02.jpg.34479d19874605e9ec5412099dd837ec.jpg

-  I have a Honda Shadow 750cc, and it rides like a cloud, really smooth and built like a tank, with a great riding position. Can put bags on the sides which makes it practical while maintaing the cool factor. Can also install a shield in the front, which reduces turbulance in highway speeds and makes it tolerable in long rides. Most importantly: cheap to buy and cheap to maintain. 

127316303_ScreenShot2020-05-05at23_50_59.jpg.4f3d75bebd8eec6872b91c31fc58fe7c.jpg

- I owned a Benelli TNT300 and hated every minute of it. Threw money at it with aesthetic upgrades to fool myself into keeping it, since it rode so badly; but ultimately couldn't stand it and ended up selling it. Benelli is a Chinese bike with an Italian name, so you get what you pay for. Same story with CFMoto. 

810860339_ScreenShot2020-05-06at00_12_45.jpg.44cceeedd09fbadf4f1d80a59567bfd0.jpg

- I currently own a Kawasaki Z800 which gives me a dirty look if I don't speed with it. It sounds and revvs incredibly, with the only downside being the forward riding position which is really straining on your wrists on long rides, even though it's a streetfigher and not a superbike. I also have a Ninja 300 (the white one in the above picture) which I feel more safe riding than the Z800, as it's less likely I'll kill myself in it. 

1220884023_ScreenShot2020-05-06at00_12_33.jpg.f06fcb0d2540f04341d72e4ae2a59418.jpg

So in conclusion, I have two recommendations: A) please don't ride. It's too dangerous. and b) If you MUST, go for a Kawasaki or Honda in Dubai. Don't go above 800cc and don't go below 300cc, as it's more dangerous either way. And don't spend more than 25k AED, as realistically you'll only ride 2-3 months out of the year. 

Sorry for the long post. Hope it's helpful. Cheers! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1