•  
Advertise here

Right Engine Oil for Nissan Xterra

Using a proper engine oil for our vehicle is an important part of good maintenance. And owner's manual always states which oil is best for our vehicles to drive under normal weather and driving condition. My Nissan Xterra which is 2009 model with 250K km on speedometer had been regularly serviced at agency using 20W 50 engine oil (recommended in owners manual) at every 5000km by the previous owner. 

Now the time has come to change the oil for first time since i bought it. Few Xterra owners from - - -club recommend 5W 30 engine oil (10000km) which is also recommended in owners manual. Since these two grades 5W 30 & 20W 50 are different it is important for me to determine which oil is best for my vehicle. By my little search in internet, i understood that 5W 30 oil is good for modern vehicles and this spec oil is lighter which circulate through out the engine faster than dense grade oil like 20W 50. Also recommend for high millage vehicle 

My question..

Is it required to change to 5W 30 from 20W 50 for better performance for my high millage engine

And also i would like to know that the switching the oil grade will not damage the engine parts 

Owner's Manual - Page attached for reference

Untitled.png.c8616dfbe2f3740331e65bc87c5701ea.png

I would say that if your engine has been using 20w50 and since it has already clocked 250k km, stick to this grade. Plus this grade is acceptable in your owner's manaul. Generally as engine gets older some suggest to go for thicker oil and with the summer approaching better to have a thicker oil

• Like (+1) 5

Personally using 20w50(mineral oil) for new generation engine is not logical. But since they already used 20w50 before you should follow that. Otherwise you may notice your car will burn oil. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Srikumar said:

Generally as engine gets older some suggest to go for thicker oil and with the summer approaching better to have a thicker oil

And those some need to be shot for giving false information to spoil engines for increasing their livelihood.

After all this is what you get from an "electrician" and not a mechanic or a technician.

All researchers, scientist motorsport industry and multi billion dollar corporations are really stupid......?

As the price difference from the cheapest and the most expensive oil is a 100 or 200 dhs for 5000 kms = 2 or 4 fils/kms.
NO ONE SHOULD DRIVE THE CHEAPEST OIL FOR OFFROAD VEHICLES IN UAE. PERIOD.

Check the below video explaining the basics of engine oil and importance of using fully synthetic engine oil for extreme conditions (offroad) and in extreme temperatures (UAE).

@Asif Hussain my highest recommendation is to switch to "Fully Synthetic 5W30" engine oil of any "reputed Company" which claims for 10k kms, but change at 5,000 kms if you are driving your Xterra for offroad. Mobil 1 (the best), Castrol, Shell, are all good brands to trust.

During offroad in summer, when car runs warm (slightly above normal temp range) then Engine oil breaks down much faster and mineral oil will lack in providing good all round lubrication during those warmer times and might fry engine internals. That's why going for fully synthetic is highly advisable and changing at half life because you are touching extreme temperature every week.

Race cars change engine oil before every race because engine oil test really comes in play at high revs and in high temperatures.

• Like (+1) 6

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Gaurav in the case of Asif's car it has been agency maintained with 20w50 periodically at 5000 km which is also okay as per the owner's manual. So why change something that has been working. Regarding mineral and synthetic I am sure that if you search you might get 20w50 fully synthetic oil

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

@Gaurav in the case of Asif's car it has been agency maintained with 20w50 periodically at 5000 km which is also okay as per the owner's manual.

Only for on-road yes it meets the basic requirements. Read it again, I said just "basic requirements".

3 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

So why change something that has been working.

For better off-road performance and longevity of this high mileage engine, so it work little less harder and won't starve to death because of lack of lubrication.

5 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

Regarding mineral and synthetic I am sure that if you search you might get 20w50 fully synthetic oil

20W50 + Fully Synthetic is not a regular item and he might have to import from US from redline, lucas or royal purple.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 3 months later...

@Anish S you need to see the grade of oil considering the ambient temperature. For this time of the year 15W-40 is the recommended grade for your Pajeros. You can reconfirm with your owner's manual.

The Shell off-road warrior oil doesn't cover this range, so it's of not much use to you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1